How can I hide my torrent downloads to stop ISP complaints

Discussion in 'File Sharing' started by ChaosLord13, Jan 31, 2007.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 4 users.
  1. ChaosLord13

ChaosLord13 Member

Hey guys, I'm new here and relatively new to BitTorrent. A while back I got an e-mail from my ISP telling me to delete a certain file as they recieved a complaint from a company about my IP address downloading the file. My question is, is there any way, and if there is, how to hide my downloads from these places so I do not recieve these complaints, is there any way to make it relatively un-trackable?

P.S. there may be another thread about this but I do not know what to search for...

Thx guys!

2. lion7718

lion7718 The Big Cat

Nothing is 100%...If your running Azureus, install the SafePeer Plugin....
    Any other BT Client, install PeerGuardian2..both plugins download the same Block Lists.

3. Jared Moya

Jared Moya Chief News Editor Staff Member Moderator Contributor

You can also encrypt the connection in Azureus........but yeah, nothing is 100% but death and taxes...............

4. ChaosLord13

ChaosLord13 Member

ya, k thanx guys, I dont mean like 100% impossible to find, but like with Limewire or Morpheus, I downloaded a lot of stuff and never got any email like this b4, so obviously there must be something different here... is what your suggesting, making it basically as hard to find as any other P2P program?

5. Jorge

Jorge Forum Admin Staff Member Administrator

They are monitoring BT more then ever now so you have to be careful. I would stay away from the big torrent trackers and get yourself into a good private tracker or a really good Direct Connect hub.

6. mountain_rage

mountain_rage Zeropaids nipple Staff Member Moderator

private trackers are about a secure as all the others these days.

7. eduytito

eduytito Member

yes friends encrypt Protocol in Utorrent and Azureus, but nothing is 100% secure.

Bye.

8. grab_grab_the_haddock

grab_grab_the_haddock The Voice Of Reason Established Member

Yeah, private trackers could be secure. If only we could find a way to stop people trading invites with complete strangers. hmmmmm.....

9. Auggie2k

Auggie2k Back to business! Established Member

All I can say its before you get the right setup (uTorrent, encryption on, private trackers only) make sure your ISP doesn't block, monitor or restrict BT ports.

10. onigiri

onigiri Member

how do i encrypt utorrent please?

11. lion7718

lion7718 The Big Cat

Options/Bit Torrent..Protical Encryption..Enable

Does ĀµTorrent support Protocol Encryption (PE)?

Disabled: Does not encrypt outgoing connections, but will accept encrypted incoming connections.
    Enabled: Attempts to encrypt outgoing connections, but will fall back to an unencrypted mode if the connection fails.
    Force: Attempts to encrypt outgoing connections, and will NOT fall back to an unencrypted mode if the connection fails.
    Allow legacy incoming connections enables or disables incoming legacy (non-encrypted) connections.

12. ChaosLord13

ChaosLord13 Member

k, and thanks again guys, your help has been phenomenal, about the private torrent sites... how could i be able to get myself into one of them?

13. sooti

sooti Member

you have to get an invite from someone for most private sites, but alot of new ones still allow signups

14. DwarfBaby

DwarfBaby Member

If they allow sign-ups how is it that they are private, or do I not understand. Anyways private sites are good for many things (speed for one) but don't be fooled into thinking they are any safer then public sites.

15. lion7718

lion7718 The Big Cat

Myself..I only use 1 private site now...sometimes....for me, there is to much trouble & way too much drama.