Hollywood loses final appeal in piracy case (TheAge)

Discussion in 'News' started by Drew Wilson, Apr 22, 2012.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
  1. Drew Wilson

Drew Wilson AKA IceCube Staff Member Moderator Contributor

- Unanimous decision: ISPs not liable for copyright infringement
    - Decision means net users won't be disconnected from net for piracy without courts
    - Content owners pressuring government to change laws

A damaging blow has been dealt to the giants of the film industry in the High Court today after it decided to dismiss their copyright infringement appeal case against internet service provider (ISP) iiNet in a landmark ruling.

The High Court's five judges unanimously dismissed the appeal. In a summary the court observed that iiNet "had no direct technical power" to prevent its customers from illegally downloading pirated content using BitTorrent, a popular protocol used to share files online.

More...
  2. bcwar

bcwar Member

Interesting development ... i wonder how this will affect the summer crackdown by the ISPs that is supposed to be coming.
  3. Drew Wilson

Drew Wilson AKA IceCube Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Don't know. Just to clarify, this development happened in Australia.
  4. bcwar

bcwar Member

yah i get that but it's still Hollywood puttin the pressure on an ISP .... and being handed yet another stinging defeat. As the summer months close in I'm anxious to see how Verizon handles this new tough on Torrenting nonsense because up till recently they've sided more with their own customer base rather than knuckle under to hollywood pressure.