Far Cry 2 and Dead Space - Xbox360 vs PC?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by chamonofx, Oct 25, 2008.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 5 users.
  1. chamonofx

chamonofx Member

I am looking to get these 2 games and was wondering if on PC look better than on Xbox 360 so I can get the right ones. My pc has a core 2 duo running at 3.2 ghz and a 8800GTS running @ 780 Mhz

Thanks
  2. evilmegaman

evilmegaman ZP Superhero Established Member

Dead space is for PC?
  3. chamonofx

chamonofx Member

pc, x360, and ps3 :)
  4. shawners

shawners Hurt no more my son.

Well the problem lies that with xbox 360, i can play it in 1080p on a 52inch tv.. Why go to a 19inch lcd monitor in front of the computer?

Download it before you waste money.
  5. wapazoid

wapazoid Member

Personally, I'd go for the PC version. Not everyone has a 19", and you can play games at a higher resolution... not that it's a deciding factor. Besides, I'd take a mouse and keyboard over a controller any day.
  6. shawners

shawners Hurt no more my son.

Not everyone has a 52inch pc monitor. Its nicer to play on the sofa in the living room then on a pc with a small screen. The other option is to have a laptop hooked up to the TV but its still going to have to be a kick ass system, a great audio/video card, HDMI hookups, Raid sata hard drive, and wireless keyboard mouse with at least a tv tray to put in front of you so you can use a keyboard and mouse.
  7. wapazoid

wapazoid Member

I wouldn't consider a 28" screen small. Why would you need a raid set up? Is load time on a console that much faster? Anyways, I've always found being alone in the dark with a set of quality headphones more immersive than loud speakers in the living room. Won't bug the crap out of the family or neighbors either.

Again, my own personal taste. :)
  8. mountain_rage

mountain_rage Zeropaids nipple Staff Member Moderator

Saying a 52 inch tv is better than a 28 inch monitor simply because its large is foolish. The size of your screen should be scaled equivalently to your viewing distance. So to be honest at 28 inch screen is probably comparable to playing on your 52 inch TV.

Personally I would get it for PC for two reasons. You have more control of the graphics settings and you can play with keyboard and mouse.

Think I'm going to pick up Farcry 2 for the winter holidays. First one was awesome and this one looks even better.
  9. wapazoid

wapazoid Member

Farcry was great. I'm itching for Fallout 3, though. Preordered it through Steam last night. And yet I haven't a clue as to why... I can't download it until the 28th.
  10. evilmegaman

I need to format my PC desperately :(

so many broken components in windows due to my external hard drive corrupting. vital things won't dislodge themselves so a lot of programs seem to think they're still on my computer even though they aren't >=( like acrobat.
  11. firecry

firecry Member

be careful getting far cry 2 if you have an ATI card because some people are having graphic glitches. i have a 4870x2 and I'm playing it on max settings. but the game flickers sometimes. its quite annoying and can ruin the experience.
  12. mountain_rage

mountain_rage Zeropaids nipple Staff Member Moderator

Well thankfully I have a Geforce 8800, sadly I would prefer to have an ATI card for my CAD work.
  13. chamonofx

chamonofx Member

ive got a 8800gts g92
  14. peckfeckler

peckfeckler Member

Case 1. 1080p -

Xbox 360 and PS3 Sub 720p or 600p resolution

There are currently only two games available for the xbox 360 that are rendered natively in 1080p, they are both arcade titles. At present time, games like madden and forza2 are rendered in 720p (1280x720) while games like Halo 3 and Cod4 are rendered in 600p (1024x600). Admittedly, by todays gpu standards, the consoles fall behind in most catagories. One thing to make a sure note of is that the xbox 360 and ps3 simply can not render a game like gears of war or call of duty 4 with all their bells and whistles at 1080p, there just isnt enough power in the gpu.

Case 2. Computers are Customizable

The game in question isnt very demanding, you should be able to run it at max settings with a resolution higher than 720p, and more stable framerates too, the rest however is up to you. In my opinion this genre ( survival horror ) requires excellent sound, i have a PCIe sound blaster fatal1ty X-fi titanium sound card , allowing for 128 simultaneous voices and it is hooked up to my $1000 A/V reciever delivering pristine 8 channel audio.. whereas generic software audio could limit you to 16 or 32 voices, my sound is also rendered at a higher definition with 96000 samples per second each containing 24 bits of information, so every gust of wind, every scraping limb and buzzing electrical cord is heard as it should be. Unfortunately this game is limited tot5.1 :\ , buti can output in dolby digital which is maxed at 5.1 anyways and allows for even sharper audio. if you dont have a dedicated sound card ( which you can get for dirt cheap if you know what is needed and what is not) then i would suggest trading in the more defined picture with its extra bells and whistles for a go at the console version.

Case 3. Where and how you play matters.

Like mentioned before, idealy you would want to play on a big screen 1080p tv, given that the consoles cant output demanding games at 1080p, the best way to do this is ( as i do ) to connect your computer straight to your tv or home theather system. Sometimes that isnt an option. Another thing is, althought the keyboard and mouse is more precises and accurate, it is alos a burden and in my opinion, completely withdraws you from the game, if you dont have the games for windows dongle that lets you use your xbox controller on the pc then i would pass on the pc version.. this is a survival horror game and the same thrill just cant be felt with a big ol wireless keyboard on your lap, it needs a control pad. Simply put this game isnt mean't to be played on a tiyy screen in the corner of your bedroom, its meant to be played on the big screen with engaging multi channel surround sound that completely emerses and captivates you, if you can do that with your pc, then the xbox version is for you, the biggest downside is less resolution ( in both video and audio ) , the textures are a little blurry and the smoke seams less realistic ( smoke is a big part of this game.. )
    1 person likes this.
  15. evilmegaman

an informative first post? what?
  16. peckfeckler

peckfeckler Member

Use auslogics boostspeed software.. i use it every three months or so.. makes my pc work like new without haiving to reinstall everything :)
  17. soulcaliburxx

soulcaliburxx Member

Ps3,pc,x360=_=