DREAMCAST - Whats your favorite games?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Mels_Smileys45, Dec 23, 2009.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
  1. Mels_Smileys45

Mels_Smileys45 JabberZombie Established Member

Are there any fans of this dead console? Ten years later and I still worship this system! I miss it so much too. It was the first console that I played online. In fact, it was the first online gaming I ever did and it was a blast even at 56k. Sega's servers made the gaming experience great with almost no lag if you can believe that. Sega was WAY ahead of its time and it really barely missed taking the market back over. Unlike Nintendo's Wii, Sega just made too many little mistakes when launching this unit. Too bad. Dreamcast really was a dream come true. There are still many fans out there who feel the same way I do and I wondered if any of you guys were/are fans as well and would like to rap about those good ol days.

[​IMG]

Phantasy Star Online - had me ADDICTED! I could not wait to get work to get back to my character and I would sit at work all day thinking about it too. I would hope people I met online would be there when I got back to my online world. I still miss it so much! There are still some rogue servers still up but almost no one is living there anymore. I remember I once tried to start a ZP group to hang out there. I think that would be so fun!!!

Jet Set Radio - This was one fun game! Its graphics were WAY ahead of its time and since then many games have used the "cell shade" technique this game revolutionized! Its a blast, much beter than even the NICE sequel, so you should grab it today. Its well supported in BT!

Shenmue - This RPG was also revolutionary for its day as it was a go anywhere do anything game that was FAR advanced to anything in its category. You could decide to get a job and forget about the "game" part if you wished and just live in the world for awhile. I drove a forklift for a bit. lol The sad part is at the end I got on a boat and set sale for China ( I think ) and had to wait for part two to be released so that I could import my character to play the story further but the Dreamcast failed and I NEVER got to finish that story. SAD! It was released in Japan but that did not help me any, not one bit!

Ready to Rumble - One awesome arcade style boxing game with some of the best boxers ever invented. Only the new Nintendo Wii "Punch Out" comes close to the same level of entertaining characters!

NBA2K - I never really cared for basketball games before I played NBA2K. It was wonderful and the control was perfect!

Trickstyle - This futuristic boarding game was DA-BOMB!!! For its time it had mind warping graphics and was just plain fun fun fun! I NEVER could finish the last board and that still bothers me to this day! I plan to try again really soon and I will prevail! It will not beat me! Its just so darn hard!!!

There is a short list but there are many more I loved. I did not mention games like Crazy Taxi and I am actually about to test out Crazy Taxi 2 if I can get it to run well enough to play on this darn PC. The Dreamcast EMU ran better on XP or perhaps it was just the graphics card I had. I dunno but I might just buy me a Dreamcast off Ebay as they are dirt cheap and well worth the $$$!!!

I would love to hear from any fans and I would also like to get a few of you guys interested enough to try out a few of these games if you have not already. Try em out! Its a shame to lose the Dream!

[​IMG]
    What about this? What is it? Does it work? Google it!!!

Below is a version that does work and is VERY nice...but is it worth $400? I really want it but that is just insane! Look here

[​IMG]

2. Mels_Smileys45

If you don't remember the GREAT Trickstyle, HERE is a Youtube video that someone made to pay tribute! It was so dagnasty great! I can not believe they never made another one of these. I guess the whole boarding game sorta died. Perhaps the Wii could bring it back now!!! Its so nice to be able to have a service like Youtube to be able to look back at these memories!

[​IMG]
    There were some clever and amazing courses!

3. mountain_rage

mountain_rage Zeropaids nipple Staff Member Moderator

Ranked in order of best on top, granted I don't remember all the games I played on it.
    Skies of Arcadia : Classic RPG, great story, well developed characters and the mechanics are solid. This is in my top 10 list of favorite RPG's. Its up there with ChronoTrigger, Breath of Fire, and Tales series.

Headhunter This is a very well conceived 3rd person shooter. The action never stopped, the game had perfect flow. At the time it blew me away how well it was conceived. Definitely a game to play if you haven't.

Crazy taxi : Spent hours upon hours on this game and it took a long time to get bored of it. There was always a new skill or challenge to be met. Classic game that I don't think the sequels ever managed to live up to.

Jet Set Radio
    Ready to Rumble
    Soul Caliber
    Virtual Striker
    Sonic Adventures
    Grandia 2

Eco the Dolphin : This game is good in how it managed to emulate the environment at the time, and just how fun it is to swim around with the dolphin. The game itself isn't much fun, but the mechanics are great to play around with.

4. Mels_Smileys45

I will have to try HeadHunter. I never heard anything about it and I always wanted to try Eco the Dolphin. I have it downloaded now. Sega had some very nice RPG's and for a tiny bit it looked like they would outclass everyone as they had so many that were very good and then...DISASTER!!! I still cry at night---

Also, what about the dumb named game Seamen. Did no one in Japan NOT see the joke? That little tad pole was doomed from the jump.

I need to upgrade graphics card badly. The one I have on this PC is just POOR! My other PC I mainly use for MAME has a AGP graphics card, although its a pretty nice one for its age, and it does a much better job at Dreamcast emulation. This PC has a Geforce 8400 GS 512Mb and its not Dreamcasting very well. Plus I am working with onboard sound too and its not working that well either. The frame rates are steady but sometimes the textures drop out of some objects and over all the graphics are a bit glitchy. I suppose every system will handle emulation differently. I just wish the DC EMU was perfect on all games.

5. moneoa

moneoa Vita!!!!!!! Staff Member Moderator

never played the dream cast but I did own and love a Sega Saturn console....shit I even owned the massive nintendo fail, virtual boy (anyone who said it was not portable didnt balance it on the top of their legs obviously)

6. Mels_Smileys45

I still have my Virtual boy in working order!!! Its part of my classic video game collection! I am missing the foam fitting that goes around the head interface and have no clue how I lost that part but it still works perfectly. Hardly even used! lol Tennis is the business though!

I really need to beef up my classic video game collection. I have a pretty good one but I really want to get aColecoVision ( had one as a kid ), Vectrex, Sega Mega Drive ( had one of these too, disappeared! ) and a few other odds and ends to make my gaming room more awesome!

Take my word for it. Classic consoles are the collectibles of the future and will be HOT HOT HOT! Get em now before they become WAY expensive!

@moneoa - you MUST get some DREAMCAST ROMS and check em out. There are some really good games there. I wish you would have had the experience of being an original fanboy because it was a great time. There are so many DC fans it really shows that SEGA just barely missed with this console. I believe Sega's abandonment of the prior console ( Saturn) so early hurt them way more than they ever thought it would. Its hard to stay loyal to a brand when they kick you in the balls and charge you $300. If the Saturn would not ever been released, Sega would likley still be in the console market...Maybe not. Three consoles is almost too much dont ya think? Four? UGHH!

Classic Consoles forever! Start collecting today and you might just make a small fortune in 10 to 15 years! I am thinking of buying tons of old consoles on Ebay and then sealing them up in vacuum bags to store them well.

7. mountain_rage

Something that has often been neglected is attempt to introduce a console in markets often ignored, or overpriced by the main 3 competitors. If a 4th competitor wanted to throw its weight in the ring, it would be through these untapped markets that they would succeed.

8. Excrement_Cranium

Excrement_Cranium Just Sick Established Member

9800's are on the cheap, as are the... 5870? 5890?

I run a 9600 GSO Fatal1ty edition 768MB - works fiiiiiiine... got it for less than a hundred bucks in January or so.

9. Mels_Smileys45

I almost purchased a 9500GT 1GB DDR2 for $99 bucks just because I had the time and $99 but I held off. I think I may be getting a gift card from BB so I figured I could wait long enough to see so I could get a better one while I am buying. I do not do that much new gaming but I would like a card that can run PS2 and DC games with no trouble at all. I do not understand some of the specs on some of the newer cards. The clock speeds are slower and such from the older ones and they cost more. Where is the extra performance coming from? Bigger pipes? More pipes? I have not investigated this stuff in too long so I am lost.

10. Signa

Signa COCK ROCKET!!! Established Member

I remember spending hours playing on the Virtual Boy display demos at Toys R Us. I never understood why people hated the system, because that space shooter/Starfox type game was awesome, as well as Wario. So how do you guys feel about the system 15 years later? Was it a lost and forgotten gem, or am I remembering it through some very rose-colored glasses? (Pun very much intended:p)

11. Mels_Smileys45

Its still nice but the reason it completely failed is because Nintendo was made to take it off the market after many people ( many more than usual ) suffered from seizures and I think there were other ways people got injured by the unit as well. Can't really remember but I do know Nintendo had to pull the system.

12. mountain_rage

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php

They have more shader processors, most new games are shader intensive. Faster memory, leading to more memory bandwidth and better processing. They also have more texture units and some other variations. But I think the big changes are the memory and shaders.

13. Signa

I never heard that. I thought people just simply hated it. They expected a portable system, and what they got was goggles on a stand. Also I did hear rumors that the red screen messed with some people, but nothing to the extent of seizures. It was a long time ago, but I don't remember ANY adverse effects when I used it. My eyes had to adjust to the light of the store because I would sit there for quite a while, but that's all I remember.

14. Mels_Smileys45

I do remember a lot of people being turned off by the shades of red only display but from what I remember the sudden drop of support from Nintendo was caused by the lawyers.

15. Signa

Still news to me. Every time I read an article about failed systems, and the Virtual Boy is on it, it never mentions that as a reason for failure. It's that people hated it, and no one bought it.

16. Mels_Smileys45

Could have been buried..I don't know. I remember it very well. People complained about neck injuries because of the way you had to sit at the table with the thing and many people did have BAD seizures. They were still allowed to sell it because I bought mine out of a discount bin but I remember well how Nintendo suddenly stopped making them after a VERY short time becomes of growing law suits.

17. Mels_Smileys45

I just looked on youtube and one poster recalls it just as well as I do. It was all over the news back then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaSdWdcbH8g

I am sure if I dug around I could find more about it but trust me for once, not only did many people not like the red aspect, Nintendo was getting sued a lot.

18. Mels_Smileys45

Okay, I did a quick fast Google search before I take off to the parents for the Holiday. Here is an insert:

http://www.mypsp.com.au/NewsDetail.aspx?id=694

Read the whole article because its a really nice piece. I had forgot about how they started making them with the auto pause so people wouldn't die! lol

19. Signa

I think that is a Don Webb alarmist analyzation of the words there Mels. I googled "Nintendo sued for Virtual Boy" and nothing came up. The only thing I saw that referenced a lawsuit regarding the VB was this:

http://www.8bitkid.com/2008/04/01/breaking-nintendo-to-put-virtual-boy-on-the-wii-virtual-console/

Even so, the only mention on the page was in the comments by some guy. He probably heard the same as you. Just remember that the Wii and DS both come with mandatory health warning screens, and I've not heard any lawsuits about carpal tunnel syndrome. Even if there was, they couldn't win because the warnings were there.

I also remember very specifically Toys R Us and a few other fliers advertising the VB on clearance so that they could get rid of it. Support was dropped for it obviously, but if they were sued for it being dangerous, then it would have been recalled and not clearanced.

I'm sorry if I'm coming across overly argumentative, but if it happened, I would have thought I would have heard about it by now, or would have been able to find some info on it. I mean, I didn't know at the time that Game Genie was sued, but I found info on that years later. I would think that every article regarding the failure of the VB I've read would have punctuated that failure with the mention of the lawsuit. If it was there, then why has no one mentioned that?

20. Excrement_Cranium

Excrement_Cranium Just Sick Established Member

When support was dropped for the dreamcast, I picked up Space Channel 5, the Collin Mcray rally game, a gameshark, and a couple other games all for 99 cents each. 6 bucks, 5 games and a gameshark.

Win.