Developers - Help Encourage Sharing...

Discussion in 'Advanced Topics' started by JAZ4LIFE, Oct 10, 2002.

?

I would like to be able to cut off uploading by users who don't share.

1. I agree - it would be useful to disallow selfish people from sharing my files.

17 vote(s)
    89.5%
  2. I kind of agree - Sharing is a great idea in principle but I'm afraid people can hack my system if I

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. I disagree -I take what I want and you can just get stuffed.

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  4. I have no opinion on the matter

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 5 users.
  1. JAZ4LIFE

JAZ4LIFE Member

I encourage all developers - provide a setting to allow people who share their files to 'NOT SHARE' with any particular user(s) who do not. For example, KAZAA LITE provides a user 'participation rating'. Those with a rating of 0 typically don't share, don't take messages, yet clog my upload bandwidth helping themselves to my files.

I'm happy to share but p2p kinda sounds like 'share n share alike'. I'd like to be able to cut off selfish folks who don't share so that the generous people can have better access to my shared files.

People who take but aren't willing to share, in my opinion, are rather....selfish...

Let's have some means of 'encouraging' people to share. We can't force them too but a setting as I've described above would help.
  2. cpugeniusmv

cpugeniusmv Computer Genius Established Member

first let me start by saying, i share. second, put yourself in the position of the "leechers"...there are legitimate reasons for not sharing, although, i've only run into one...bandwidth cap...this is becoming more commonly used, and i'm sure that there are more legitimate reasons. but yes, people should share if they can.
  3. whiff

whiff Member

some apps have already implemented this

check the Options dialog in your program, certain programs have had these kind of anti-leech features for years.
  4. Canary

Canary Member

The issue of digital leeches will never die. I DO believe it is active participation that keeps the network alive, but at the same time, I try to avoid being presumptuous.

There are any number of reasons why users may temporarily disable sharing and there are faults within networks that cause improper display or even no display of files shared.

There are many generous users who may not share files when they are downloading but will leave their pc turned on for others for hours while they're away.

And then you always have those who are inept, unorganized, and uninformed.. so we need to help them along a bit, rather than cut them. :upside
  5. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Member

Anti-leech features just do not work. The best way to prevent a "leech" problem is to make the program and sharing easy to use and the encourage users to share by means other than holding the digital gun to their head. Also people shouldnt be worried because everyone who is uploading off of them dont have T3 and over 100 gigs of shared files.. People who dont share should be used for other network tasks which is very feasible on decentralized networks and is what will probably be done in the future.
  6. MorningSon

MorningSon Its about time

7. MoonMan

MoonMan Member

Let me tell you what is wrong with what you have said. Download.com is just for that, downloading. Do you really think they would WANT uploads? They already probably get about a 100 emails a day with viruses.

Downloading from the web is not a p2p program. Something on the web to be downloaded is ment to be downloaded.

You are obviously a newbie when it comes to irc. F Serv channels are also ment for people to come in a take. You have to understand though, that irc is alot different than kazaa. People come there because they KNOW what they want, but also, F Serv users also DO collect files from others (That is how they got them in the first place). irc can be a friendly place if you find a good channel and meet the right people (and watch out for the bots).

"Stop being such self richeous prigs"
    I think you should follow your own advice.

EDIT: To answer the top question (I always seem to go off topic :p), I agree with Sephiroth that anti-leech tools just do not work. If, however, they were to be implemented effectively, then that would be great!
  8. CCSDUDE

CCSDUDE Proud Girl Lover

Good tid bit of info, thanx Krell......are there any good stable gnu app's? I'd like to join in but I'm not willing to have the damn thing crashing my system every other hour......14kbs isn't too bad LOL every little bit helps....anyway get back to me on the best gnu app you've found so far.

Peace all, Later
  9. CCSDUDE

CCSDUDE Proud Girl Lover

Thanx anyway....I'll check out Shar-za or whatever it's called...but I'm not going to go digging LOL

Peace all, Later
  10. Ken17625

Ken17625 Your best nightmare.

I downloaded that same "eBook" that Krell posted from Gnutella about a year ago. At the time I thought it was a good read. Now there are, obviously, better networks than Gnutella.