Crack defeated and left as a lure?

Discussion in 'File Sharing' started by pawalzec, Apr 8, 2012.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
  1. pawalzec

pawalzec Member

I found a key generator for a small utility program and registered the program. Some functions work, but one function crashes the program and invokes a dialog: "Do you want to send report to the provider?" Was the crack probably discovered and now used as a lure?

Without being too specific, the program helps manage email in a certain reader. Is it likely that one could find another crack that really works?
  2. mountain_rage

mountain_rage Zeropaids nipple Staff Member Moderator

Depends on the feature, some features require you to connect to a companies server, or at times will report to a company. So the crack will disable the feature since you shouldn't be using it with a cracked program. So really it depends on a lot of factors, but I doubt it is the company that shut it down. More likely the program was already broken, you got a bad copy of the program or the crack disabled the feature for the above reason.
  3. Tic3

Tic3 - Staff Member Moderator

I doubt it. More likely is that you got a poorly written piece of software that is causing conflicts in various .dll files or it could be an older program that was written for an earlier version of Windows. Could be any number of issues, really. But probably not any kind of 'lure'.
  4. pawalzec

pawalzec Member

• program already broken, or bad copy of program
    • poorly written causing conflicts in various .dll files
    • older program written for an earlier version of Windows
    • feature connects to company server, so crack disables feature

The first three make more sense to me now. The current version was released three months ago. I have win xp sp3; maybe some old dlls are corrupted.

The desired feature works on email headers that can get squirrely in the reader. It would not be connecting to a server, as it is personal information, so I don’t think the crack would purposefully disable this one function. And, I don’t think the coder would set up an automated connection to his/her server on the off chance to block a crack.

I will probably have to deal with a few botched email headers for the short term.
  5. kokanezub

kokanezub Secretary General Established Member

Capability mode,run as admin
  6. HelenaP

HelenaP go luath.. céanna go luat Established Member Contributor

Personally, I never "send a report" for anything that happens with my computer. Ever. Never know when Bill Gates' version of the Library Police will show up at your door.

As far as finding another crack, go here, type your search in the box at the upper left corner, find what you need and leave. Don't click around anyplace else. Just get your shite and go. The nude pygmies that the site used to host seem to be gone now, but they could always be lurking underneath some other pic.

Good luck.

P.S. If this is against the rules (I don't think this qualifies as "Warez" but I could be wrong), please delete.

P.S. P.S.

Forgot to mention that you might want to go into the above site while sandboxed.
  7. mfgbypooter

mfgbypooter Super Pooper Staff Member Moderator

I really enjoy being lured by a good crack