Choosing a filesharing tool for a small community

Discussion in 'Problems & Questions' started by BlueLynx, Apr 6, 2012.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
  1. BlueLynx

BlueLynx Member

Hi people

I currently run a forum for a small filesharing community that uses eMule as its main filesharing method. However, it is not working in an optimal way and I believe it may not be the filesharing method that suits best to our community.

Let me detail the scenario: The community is a forum with rougly 1000 members, and we share all kind of files, from HD movies to ebooks, but with one common denominator, all files must be in galician language (a language with 3.188.400 speakers according to Wikipedia). Targeting the forum to this specific audience makes it not possible to have a huge amount of sources on a filesharing network, so given that we have a limited number of sources we need a filesharing tool that handles those sources efficiently, and here is where eMule fails very badly. I have considered using BitTorrent because it is a more efficient protocol, but it has one big drawback that is the way to share files.

When using eMule, if I need a file and ask someone to share that file so I can get it, it is as simple for the sharer as dropping that file on the "Incoming" folder of eMule, and it starts sharing. On BitTorrent, the sharer must download the torrent file first and then stop that torrent, replace the incomplete files on the download folder with the complete ones he already has, and the start the torrent in order to start seeding. This may not be very complicated, but when you share a lot of files it becomes a pain in the ass. For example, if I reinstall my operating system I would have to download a lot of torrent files, and do what I said earlier with each torrent file. That's such a pain, and I would rather not share those files. Now let's imagine the same scenario but using eMule: I would only have to mark as shared folder the entire folder where I have all the files I want to share, and I'm done

In the world we live today, where people tends to use direct download services as RapidShare or MediaFire, getting them to use P2P is hard, so we must offer a P2P system where sharing is easy, because if not we won't get people to use it as they will say "I will stick with direct download, sharing via P2P is a pain in the ass"

So that's my problem here. eMule rocks at sharing but has a poor download speed when working with few sources, and BitTorrent has better download speeds than eMule but sharing is very hard, so the question is... What filesharing tool/network do you recommend for this scenario? I have already thought of DirectConnect, but it needs a central server to work...
  2. napho

napho Antisocial Bastard Established Member

I recall Retroshare if it's still being developed.

"RetroShare is a Open Source cross-platform, private and secure decentralised communication platform.
    It lets you to securely chat and share files with your friends and family, using a web-of-trust to authenticate peers and OpenSSL to encrypt all communication.
    RetroShare provides filesharing, chat, messages, forums and channels
    Features

Serverless, encrypted Chat & Filetransfer
    Multiple simultaneous downloads / uploads
    Search Friends
    UPnP / NAT-PMP port forwarding support
    GnuPG Authentication
    OpenSSL Encryption
    Plugins support
    Graphical User Interface written with Qt4 toolkit
    System tray integration
    "

http://retroshare.sourceforge.net/
  3. BlueLynx

BlueLynx Member

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm afraid it doesn't fit the scenario. RetroShare is a F2F network, meaning that you must have a list of friends to share files with them, so if someone has a file that you want, and you don't have him in your friends list, you can't download that file from him. This makes it a private network, and we don't want that, we want to use an open network so that anyone can join and start sharing and downloading
  4. carpefile

carpefile Chronic Established Member

That's a little unpractical, don't you think? Why do you need an open network? Is there some large number of peers sharing files in galician somewhere outside your community?
    There are a lot of options for sharing within your community, WASTE, Qnext, Retroshare, etc. that would adequately serve your community with expansion no more difficult than adding new users to your list of peers.
    I'm afraid that if you desire a more specific feature set tailored to your needs you're probably going to have to modify an existing architecture to suit you or develop one yourself.