Can't play wmv files with VLC Player

Discussion in 'Desktop' started by black_magiic, Apr 15, 2006.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
  1. black_magiic

black_magiic Member

Just reinstalled windows from an acronis image. I'm using VLC media player and trying to play WMV files but it just plays the audio. No video what gives. It worked before.
  2. DigitalJunkie

DigitalJunkie Still learning.........!

Probably some codecs are missing!
  3. black_magiic

black_magiic Member

I installed the K-Lite Mega Codec pack and still no dice.
  4. DigitalJunkie

DigitalJunkie Still learning.........!

I don't play or keep WMV files much, have you tried convert the file to AVI format to see that will play?
  5. Mels_Smileys45

Mels_Smileys45 JabberZombie Established Member

Has to be some sort of setting since VLC doesnt need any codecs to decompress video. Thats the whole point of VLC, skipping all those messy codec packs. I would download a fresh version of VLC and re instal it
  6. black_magiic

black_magiic Member

Just did. Installed version 0.8.4a and it still only plays the audio. I've enabled the video channel still nothing. Any other thoughts.
  7. Mels_Smileys45

DId this same file play on VLC? Some WMV content will not play on VLC, blame MS for trying to stop a good product, there is no reason I can think of that it would not play other than that. Unless your HD is a mess which I don't think is the case.
  8. black_magiic

black_magiic Member

It's played fine before all the ones I have tried have played fine. My HD should be pretty good being a fresh install. I'm not sure what else todo. I really don't want to have to install WMP
  9. shallowhall

shallowhall Member

the samething is happening to me on my new computer, when I download the vlc, it tells me that it is corrupt
  10. black_magiic

black_magiic Member

I tried using the 0.8.5 beta but still no luck
  11. shallowhall

shallowhall Member

do you get the corrupt file like mine? and if that is the case what can be done?
  12. black_magiic

black_magiic Member

Nope It works fine and stuff loads up ok but when I Try to play wmv files it just plays the audio without the video.
  13. Mels_Smileys45

I'd grab media player classic. Its my favorite and its always good to have as a stand by. It will be good to try it out and see if something else has caused a problem with VLC's decompression process, which is what I suspect
  14. Jorge

Jorge Forum Admin Staff Member Administrator

I agree, i got MPC through the ace mega codecs pack. i downloaded a cam and i couldn't get it to play on any player, once i installed the pack, MPC played the file fine.
  15. black_magiic

black_magiic Member

When trying to play the files in MPC I get "cannot render file" or something to that affect.
  16. multi

multi Member

.wmv has always looked crappy on VLC for me
    always had some sort of picture though
    some weird double imaging effect
  17. black_magiic

black_magiic Member

It's always worked fine in past. Played everything fine for me. Including these videos. I can't imagine whats going wrong.
  18. Mels_Smileys45

Bad news. When its a codec problem MPC will generate a error message and tell you a bunch of mumbo jumbo for the problem.

[​IMG]
    Like this

It will usually then try to decompress the file itself and play it anyway.

The only time I have seen the "can not render file" message is when the video stream itself is broken. Im 95% sure that the video in question has a broken video stream or rather, Its missing a large chunk of data or perhaps all video data. I don't know what happened to it between the time you were playing it and now but I feel safe in saying its now garbage. Sorry
  19. black_magiic

black_magiic Member

oh dear lord is that ever bad news. I'll try some others but shit man this is like all my Kung-Fu videos I've made and stuff. If this stuff went tits up thats bad.
  20. voltRis

voltRis doctor alden tyrell?

from the vlc wiki:

some codecs VLC can't include by default due to licensing issues. they're just a handful, but enough to keep a spare media player handy. you might want to check to make sure wmp 9/10 is installed, that could be the difference between your installs.