Canada's 2011 Election

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Drew Wilson, Mar 28, 2011.

?

Who are you voting for?

1. Liberals

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Conservatives

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. NDP

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Green

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Other

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 4 users.
  1. Drew Wilson

Drew Wilson AKA IceCube Staff Member Moderator Contributor

I know, I'm not starting a thread with a news story (shock!). Been looking at the elections lately and thinking about what a circus this has been so far. I watch Harper and I keep asking myself only one question, "Did this twat really get elected?"

I mean, really, this guy has continually embarrassed Canada on the world stage over the last few years. On several times, he started spouting on about domestic politics at a podium on the international freaking stage! Does he really think the other politicians give a flying fuck about how bad and evil the Liberals are in Canada? Fuck, he really didn't have a clue!

Then he turns around and has one scandal after another like doctoring legal government papers and is found in contempt of parliament. There's RCMP probes abound and he's even had to fire some of his MPs for wrong-doing (and in one case, without any reason at all)

Added to that, he sold out Canada on the softwood lumber "deal", plunging entire economies into disarray (some communities are even seeing their one mill close down, pretty much screwing entire small towns from what I've heard)

Then, there's the obvious fighter jet scandal that was a complete circus. Not to mention, he's basically trying to hide actual data about how much his budget costs. Then ends the session for being found in contempt (I think I said this twice)

Now, he's screaming bloody murder about how evil the opposition is without any vision for what he wants. All he talks about is the coalition and how amazingly fantastic he is. Yeah, clearly the guy doesn't have a plan.

Right now, I'm definitely voting NDP. I'm watching the election so far, but it's only solidifying my vote to the NDP. At least they aren't convicted criminals.
  2. mountain_rage

mountain_rage Zeropaids nipple Staff Member Moderator

Either voting Liberal to try and get rid of the Conservatives, or I'll vote for Greens. The Greens will never win in m riding, I hear the NDP might not run in it, so the Liberals could actually regain their seat without the vote splitting. I've met the Liberal candidate in my riding, ate dinner with him at an event, he is a nice guy.
  3. Drew Wilson

I guess the Conservatives are now talking about how they are going to give families tax breaks... after 2015. What the hell kind of promise is that? It's like saying, "I promise I might benefit you several elections later."

It's hilarious too because they were yammering away on how the budget would benefit firefighters. Now that everyone else is promising benefits for families, the Conservatives are like, "Oh... uh... yeah! The Conservatives are all about families! Yeah, that's it! Families!" Probably further proof that the Conservatives are so horribly out of touch with everyone else. Too much time spent up their ass or licking corporate boots probably.

Although there is one good bit of news - a good portion of the Conservatives talking points are backfiring already. They kept talking about how coalition is this icky evil bad thing. Numerous Canadians are sitting there going, "You make it sound like coalition is a bad thing when it's something I wouldn't mind!" Back to the drawing board for the Conservatives, haw-haw!

Really hoping for a minority government again. So few awful things happened like draconian copyright laws as a result of it.

Edit: Oh, and I love the interview on the CBC when they asked who a couple of Albertans will vote for. One of them said, "Yeah, we'll probably vote Conservative, then be embarrassed about it when they get in again later." At least he was honest about it.
  4. For the first time ever I'm voting NDP, I've voted liberal all my life but I cannot vote for that Michael Ignatieff ,they need to get a better leader for that party ,and what the hell is up with the gas prices here? oh yea I've herd all the bull they tell you but I dont buy it a bit. political.jpg
  5. Drew Wilson

Yeah, the NDP have been so supportable these days. Even the Bloc leader is able to come up with decent lines like when he read out the coalition letter and pretended to have trouble reading Stephen Harpers name. Thought that was hilarious.

Recently found this on the CBC:

[​IMG]

Source

There's something constructed and scripted about that picture.

Edit: Hey Stew! Been a while since I've seen you around. How've you been doing these days? Busy?
  6. Drew Wilson

Looks like the democratic farce is continuing with the official exclusion of the Green Party in the debates.

Click

For fuck sakes, either include May or exclude the Bloc. Don't let one have all the power over the other. Whoever keeps trying to censor the greens in the consortium should be fired for conflict of interest.
  7. Drew Wilson

Another day, another scandal (sorry, two days late on this actually) by the Conservative Party of Canada: click
  8. Drew Wilson

Now the Conservatives want to Americanize Canada's election system:

More...

You know, I'm not sure he is even hiding the agenda of destroying Canada anymore. He's now upfront in saying how he wants to destroy Canada.
  9. mountain_rage

He never was hiding it, here is a great quote from the last election. "You won't recognize Canada when I get through with it" Stephen Harper
  10. Drew Wilson

Fair point.
  11. Drew Wilson

Tories opt out of campaign tour carbon offsets

The Conservatives are the only party not buying offsets for the carbon footprint of their leader's tour during the federal election campaign.

The four other major parties are buying offsets from established Canadian companies. The Bloc Québécois and the New Democratic Party are purchasing theirs from Planetair in Montreal, while the Liberals and Greens are working with Carbon Zero in Toronto.

When asked about the decision not to buy offsets for the campaign tour, the Conservatives replied in a email to CBC News that they will focus their environmental efforts on clean energy projects across the country, such as the Lower Churchill hydroelectric project in Labrador.

Conservative Leader Stephen Harper has pledged a re-elected Conservative government would commit to a loan guarantee or equivalent financial support for the $6.2-billion project, and the Tories said it would reduce carbon emissions by up to 4.5 million tonnes each year and "provide significant environmental benefits."

More...

What do you expect from an oil baron? Be probably believes that the only appropriate response to global warming is thicker sun screen.
  12. Drew Wilson

[video=youtube;o6hDv6gCe1I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6hDv6gCe1I[/video]

Derived from the latest Conservative scandal. Recent article on that one
  13. Drew Wilson

It took three days and all the Conservative Party could muster was a general apology: click. Nothing direct from the sounds of things, go figure.
  14. Drew Wilson

And to update things. Conservative Leader Stephen Harper, not to be outdone by Michael Ignatieff's photo-op blooper, decided to try out his own photo-op disaster:

[​IMG]

Source
  15. mountain_rage

Brains of liberals, conservatives structured differently: study

Perhaps the reason that liberals and conservatives have such a hard time seeing eye-to-eye is because when they're compared brain-to-brain, they're built quite differently.

A new study that analyzed the brain structures of peoples' brains based on their political affiliations has found some significant differences.

Essentially, they found that liberals have more gray matter in a part of the brain associated with understanding complexity, while the conservative brain is bigger in the section related to processing fear.

Read More

Finally, proof for what everyone already knows. Liberals understand the issues, whereas conservatives just fear everything.
  16. Drew Wilson

Heheh. In other words, stop thinking you dirty Liberal or you'll get us all killed!
  17. Drew Wilson

The opposition calls it explosive: a bombshell draft report by Canada's auditor general, complete with charges of pork-barrel largesse, dubious government spending and a "misinformed" Parliament.

The Conservatives call it a dud.

Either way, the early draft of Sheila Fraser's forthcoming report, a chapter of which was shown to The Canadian Press, promises to rattle podiums Tuesday when the televised leaders' debates get underway.

Fraser's confidential Jan. 13 draft, a chapter of which was seen by The Canadian Press, says the government misinformed Parliament to win approval for a $50-million G8 fund that lavished money on questionable projects in Industry Minister Tony Clement's riding.

And it suggests the process by which the funding was approved may have been illegal.

More...

The Conservative scandal of the day has been brought to you by the Auditor General - The AG: bringing accountability hopefully before the government muzzles it!
  18. Drew Wilson

Tories misquoted me on summit costs, Fraser says

Auditor General Sheila Fraser has written a scathing letter rebuking the Conservatives for misquoting her in a parliamentary report on the costs of the G8/G20 summits in Toronto last summer, CBC News has learned.

The Conservatives' report, presented as a dissenting opinion to the Commons the morning Parliament was dissolved last month, quotes Fraser giving high marks to the Harper government for prudent spending on the summits.

The report quoted the auditor general as saying: “We found that the processes and controls around that were very good, and that the monies were spent as they were intended to be spent.”

But in her letter addressed to members of a Commons committee on Friday, which was received by the clerk and members on Monday, Fraser said the quote had nothing to do with the summits.

Instead, she said, the Conservatives recycled an old comment she made on security spending by a previous Liberal government after the 9/11 terrorist attacks a decade ago.

“The comments attributed to me in the [Conservative] report are completely unrelated to G8/G20 spending,” Fraser writes in her letter.

“I would appreciate it if the report could be modified as it is clearly erroneous.”

New Democrat MP Pat Martin called the Conservatives’ attempt to put words in Fraser’s mouth “probably the sleaziest thing I have seen in politics."

More...

You know the Conservative government is not accountable when the Auditor General is furious with them.
  19. Drew Wilson

Just finished watching the debates. Performance of the leaders:

1. NDP
    2. Liberals
    3. Bloc
    4. Conservatives

I kinda figured Harper would bomb, but I didn't expect him to bomb that badly. He did worse than the Bloc which takes talent in all the wrong ways. He seemed to be off in his own little world half the time. I saw him numerous times pretending to listen to the other candidates, then say they said something the other candidates clearly did not say and talk about how it's wrong. You challenge what they are saying, not what you pretend they are saying for crying out loud. Maybe Harper was too wrapped up in his wet dream of a majority to really have his head in the debate, I don't know.

Of course, the media being the media didn't really catch that or really payed much attention to even what the Liberal leader was talking about. They just said the Liberals didn't talk about their position. Um... which debate were they listening to? Obviously not the debate I saw.

I'm actually embarrassed to think that, chances are, 30% of Canadians will wind up voting Conservative anyway because they have political blinders to everything but the Conservative attack ads. The Conservatives are hoping Canadians are dense and the portion voting Conservatives are proving that point. Ugh! I'm now at a point where I wonder how can people really even think of voting Conservative. It's like Americans voting in Bush for a second term (no offense, but the guy was a train wreck from the Canadian perspective)

Stephen Harper, the George W. Bush of Canada.
  20. Drew Wilson

Conservative Campaign: What do you think of the appeal for "ethnic costumes" by one Tory staffer?

Khaled Mouamar, Canadian Arab Federation president, received an email Tuesday from a Conservative campaign staffer in Toronto asking for "representation from the Arab community" for a Thursday visit from Stephen Harper.

The email went on to ask for "cultural groups to participate by having someone at the event in ethnic costume." It stated it was for a "photo-op about all the multicultural groups that support Ted Opitz our local Conservative candidate and the Prime Minister," and was signed by Zeljko (Zed) Zidaric, a member of the Tory campaign for the Etobicoke Centre riding.

The request quickly drew criticism as it made the rounds on blogs and via emails on Wednesday.

"The email was sent by a campaign staffer without my knowledge. I do not support its characterization or intent," Conservative candidate Ted Opitz said in an email.

More...

The Conservative scandal of the day has been brought to you by another backroom dumbass working for the Conservative party of Canada.