Can I install Mac OS X on a Windows Based PC?

Discussion in 'Desktop' started by Aljaydu, Nov 1, 2006.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
  1. Aljaydu

Aljaydu LOST-The Best Show On TV

I have an Acer 1.7 GHz, 1 G Ram, running Windows XP Media center with SP2.

I recently purchased a 350 gb external hard drive.

I want to install either Mac OS X or Linux on the external hd.
    Can I?
    and if I can, PLEASE, point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

2. Aljaydu

Anybody???????
    Thoughts???
    Comments????

Anyone knows??????

3. Tic3

Tic3 - Staff Member Moderator

Try typing "install osx on a pc" into Google. I came up with over 2 million hits with that search. Although I don't know if you can install on an external hard drive. Maybe your best bet would be to install it on an internal drive and then clone that drive to the external.

4. .:sp00ky:.

.:sp00ky:. Poptart Tramp Established Member

5. Aljaydu

"Try typing "install osx on a pc"" into Google. I came up with over 2 million hits with that search"
    Tic3...I did that...maybe I should've included that in my post. My bad...

"Although I don't know if you can install on an external hard drive"
    Tic3...that's the root of the question...

"Maybe your best bet would be to install it on an internal drive and then clone that drive to the external"
    Tic3...MAYBE????? MAYBE????? Awwww, come on....

Spooky, THAT'S what I'm talking about!!!!! Thaks a millon, my friend !!!!!

6. Tic3

Tic3 - Staff Member Moderator

Ok, let's try a different approach, then.

Whether or not you can install an operating system on an external hard drive will depend on whether or not the OS's install routine loads USB drivers (if your external hard drive is USB). Some do...some don't.

If not, maybe your BIOS supports booting from USB or other external sources. If it does, then set it to boot from the external and go from there.

Better? :icon_tong

Tic3

7. mountain_rage

mountain_rage Zeropaids nipple Staff Member Moderator

You can install macosX on a pc just as long as its a 64bit machine, I think yours is 32bit so your probably out of luck. Even if you could install it on your machine its quite buggy when you get it running since your drivers probably wont be properly supported. I did it about 2 years ago.

heres a good resource about it.
    http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

previous post about it

http://www.zeropaid.com/bbs/general-discussion/t-is-there-a-true-version-of-mac-on-windows-33760.html/?highlight=mactel

Should also mention that their are premade generic discs that are floating around on torrents, they work fairly well, they are prepatched and usually come with a few extra drivers. The problem is that they usually still need you to play around with it alot.

8. dnielson

dnielson Member

MacOSX is a POSIX based os meaning that it follows all the standards and therefore can run on ANY cpu as long as it's compiled for it. The catch, it's closed source so you can't just download the source code and build it yourself for your computer. So, basically you're outta luck there. MacOSX software is nothing special. Really the reason to by a mac is for the hardware. Mostly for the PowerPC CPU which is a media powerhouse. If you're looking for a good alternative to windows that you can run on your Intel-Compatible(x86) computer then I suggest Linux. There are a few good distributions out there right now. If you're new to the whole thing then I suggest either Fedora Core or Ubuntu/Kubuntu. Actually, just go with Kubuntu. It'll set you up with a working linux solution and KDE as your desktop which is all around gonna be easier to use coming from windows.
    If you think you can handle it, however, my personal choice is Gentoo Linux but the installation there can be a bit consuming and a bit challenging for a new linux user.

9. bfly

bfly Member

10. Christoph

Christoph 4 8 15 16 23 42

11. mountain_rage

mountain_rage Zeropaids nipple Staff Member Moderator

Before comenting you should really read other peoples posts, I already mentioned that I installed macosx on my pc. I know first hand that its possible.

12. Auggie2k

Auggie2k Back to business! Established Member