Calif. OKs World's Toughest Smog Rules

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Lord_of_the_Dense, Sep 24, 2004.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
  1. Lord_of_the_Dense

Lord_of_the_Dense Deicidic Chipmunk Revue Established Member

LOS ANGELES - California air regulators Friday unanimously approved the world's most stringent rules to reduce auto emissions that contribute to global warming — a move that could affect car and truck buyers from coast to coast.

Under the regulations, the auto industry must cut exhaust from cars and light trucks by 25 percent and from larger trucks and sport utility vehicles by 18 percent. The industry will have until 2009 to begin introducing cleaner technology, and will have until 2016 to meet the new exhaust standards.

"This landmark decision sets a course for California that is likely to be copied throughout the U.S. and other countries," said Alan Lloyd, chairman of the California Air Resources Board. He added that the board's decision continues its tradition of setting standards that drive improvements in pollution-cutting technologies.

Read entire story here.

2. black_magiic

black_magiic Member

I guess this is pretty good news. I dont live in california but I have been there. Hopefully this will improve things. Unfourtantely its not really effective for several years

3. Omyn

Omyn Member

Good, about damn time someone does something about it.

Still, so many years ahead of us : /

4. SuitablyTwisted

SuitablyTwisted Eugenics Advocate

What a load of crap! California has overstepped it bounds once again, venturing into lawmaking territory reserved for the federal government. Not only is this based on junk science, if allowed to stand, this law will cripple several sectors of the US economy.

The only thing scientifically proven to affect global warming is solar flare activity. All the rest is just bunk from computer models. These same experts have no answer when asked the cause of the warm period in the 1300's-1400's, long before industrialization.

California dug its own hole by paving everything from Santa Barbara to the Mexican border. The US as a whole should not have to pay the price for their stupidity. And we, as a free, market based economy, should not be prevented from buying the types of vehicles we want by a bunch of looney Left-coast fanatics who watch too many late night horror movies.

5. Yeah... California sure was stupid... I sure as hell don't want my next car to be more efficient and less poluting.

Studies have shown that around major metropolitan areas, the temperature is consistantly higher than surrounding rural areas. Do you think thats just a coincidence?

The only people who will be greatly effected by this descision is the auto industry. As far as Im concerned, they deserve it too after being the oil industry's bitch for so long.

We need inovation. Its not just that the millions of cars are polluting - they are consuming vast quantities of oil. In case you didn't pass the third grade, oil is considered a finite resource - meaning that sometime, we will run out - if we keep using it at the rapid pace we are now.

6. ferrarimodena360

ferrarimodena360 Yada Yada Yada

What Is The Mileage On Hummer?

7. mountain_rage

mountain_rage Zeropaids nipple Staff Member Moderator

8. SuitablyTwisted

Right now, we have freedom of choice. If you want a 4-cyl econobox you can buy one. If you want a hybrid, you can buy one. If you want a high-powered luxury sedan, they're available. If you want a gas-guzzling SUV, they are also for sale. The auto companies are merely responding to what the market demands, which is good for all of us. If nobody was buying Hummers or Suburbans, GM wouldn't build them. I want to retain that freedom of choice, not be forced to buy something I don't want because Kalifornia went all Chicken Little about CO2 (tree food). They mowed down their trees, I didn't.

9. ferrarimodena360

ferrarimodena360 Yada Yada Yada

with invasion of iraq, u will have more oil to excecise your choice of freedom, DAMN YOUR PROPAGANDA TO INVADE OTHER COUNTRIES, YOU DESERVE EVERY BIT JU GET

10. kidmidnight

kidmidnight Member

Someone has spent more time listening to Rush Limbaugh and less in Ecology class.

To sum up his point:

Short term gain for himself > Long term heath and gain of the world.

Sounds like an a__ to me.

Oh and Mr. Economist, don't you think new jobs will be created for the researching and assembly of the newer cars and energy plants?

Fact: Clean air and environmental laws have created more jobs than they have closed.

11. Lord_of_the_Dense

Lord_of_the_Dense Deicidic Chipmunk Revue Established Member

Good point kidmidnight, just take it easy on the fuel. (no pun intended)

Be cool to see you posting more.

12. Im not going to argue with you on the points you made in the quote - most of it is just opinion anyway.

By inovation, I meant that we should completely ditch petrol. Hydrogen fuel cells do exist. They are expensive, but if they are mass-produced, I can see the price become nearly identical to a comparable internal combustion engine. And how cheap would the fuel be? well, you could buy a solar panel, get some wire, some water, throw it all together, and you get hydrogen and oxygen. put that into your car, it converts it to water and uses the engery to move you around. with such a system, you could actually drink the water that the car produced.

Would you be willing to breathe the exhaust that comes out of the tailpipe of your car?
    I shouldnt even ask that - you've already made your choice.

13. ScorchedEarth

ScorchedEarth Member

You sure have bought the propaganda hook, line and sinker. The U.S.A. is about the only "civilised" country in the world that has an administration that's still trying to convince its citizens that global warming doesn't exist. And they are the ones using crap science. Articles several years old from obscure magazines that are not endorsed by scientists in the field as being valid, and are widely refuted. You ever heard of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change? The world's most prominent climate scientists, all agreeing that global warming is real. Yeah, do some research and stop bleeting the party line.

14. SuitablyTwisted

We're not going to go through the evidence again here ... suffice it to say that there is absolutely no scientific evidence out there which shows that any measurable increase in the temperature of the earth's atmosphere is being caused by the actions of man. There is evidence, however, strong scientific evidence, that sunspot and other activity has actually been making the surface of the sun hotter for quite some time. Evidently liberals and anti-capitalist eco-radicals aren't able to make the rational connection between a hotter sun and a hotter earth. Why blame it on the sun when you have such a good opportunity to slam capitalism and slow down America's industrial machine?

The IPCC is a group of like-minded leftists who do not allow dissent. Every bit of "evidence" they produce comes not from empirical data, but from a computer model simulation. Ever play sim Earth"?

15. I'm not going to argue with you about whether Global warming is actually an issue. Some of the world's smartest people cant agree, so there's no way any of us can prove one way or another.

My question is simply this: If there is ANY chance whatsoever that global warming exists, and an easy, economical solution exists, would you want to take advantage of it?

just answer that question. Don't mix in your political views - its not about politics. Its not about bringing down the economy.

16. mountain_rage

mountain_rage Zeropaids nipple Staff Member Moderator

Its not caused by man its caused by the Gasses of farm animals. We need farmers to go out and buy buttplugs for their swine and such to prevent futher damage to the ozone layer.