Bugs Bunny question

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Mels_Smileys45, Sep 8, 2006.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
  1. Mels_Smileys45

Mels_Smileys45 JabberZombie Established Member

All those Bugs Bunny cartoons from the 40's and 50's were released in theaters. Does anyone know if they were in wide screen format? I know this is a silly question but it was on my mind and I thought I would throw it out there. I would love to see them in full wide screen if its possible.
  2. RACKnRAIL

RACKnRAIL 今は知っているでしょ Staff Member Moderator

I am a huge fan of Bugs. I have a huge collection of bugs on my puter. Mostly the old ones. There were a few very racial ones about the Germans. I do not notice wide screen format, but these are all .mpegs. They probably have been edited to fit your screen. I do not know for sure.

I would be happy to share them with you, if you like. Do you have a favorite one? Mine, I think, there were so many good ones, was the one where bugs does the bull fight.
  3. Mels_Smileys45

I have a lot of banned bugs and other cartoons I got off winmx years ago. I put some up on youtube but I got banned. Thanks for the offer though. There are a bunch of racial bugs cartoons, more than just Germans. I would really like to see them in wide screen one day. It could be they no longer exist in that format.
  4. MrBag

MrBag MrBag

The best is when bugs plays in that baseball game with all those gigantic sluggers!!
  5. Tic3

Tic3 - Staff Member Moderator

I don't get what everybody's problem is with WW2, Germans and Hitler. The guy existed. He was real. But now, it's like everyone bans everything that even mentions the name. "Banned" cartoons. WTF is up with that?? I was watching 'Who's Line Is It Anyway' and one of the subjects was something abotu Hitler. They censored it and wouldn't even let them say the guy's NAME on the air.

Yes, he was a bad guy. Yes he was twisted. Probably evil. But banning any reference to him is a bit ridiculous.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Mels....In answer to your question, I don't know if there are any wide screen versions of the cartoon or not. I would think not (were movies back then even made in "wide screen"?). I dunno.

/end rant/

Tic3
  6. Mels_Smileys45

I have some that make fun of black people and Japanese too. I think this is OK to a point. I mean Elmer Fud looks like a white dumb ass so whats the difference? Its when they add the silly stereotypes that make people upset and offended.

Alot of the WW2 propaganda cartoons are banned because they make our country look like idiots too.

http://www.milkandcookies.com/keywords/ww2/

There are actually lots of places to watch these cartoons as theyre public domain in other countries
  7. Atheist Icon

Atheist Icon Member Established Member

sorry to hijack...

editing and banning of some of the Tom and Jerry cartoons.
  8. Mels_Smileys45

Dont worry, the thread went off course after the second post.
  9. Atheist Icon

Watched the Spirit of 1943 with Donald Duck...Freedom of Speech...a fucking joke...thats why these cartoons are banned....
  10. Atheist Icon

OMG...watching those films...how the hell are they offensive??

they portrayed what the world was going through for WWII..
  11. shawners

shawners Hurt no more my son.

12. the great one

the great one Member

I was never a big Bugs Bunny fan myself.I remember a Family Guy episode where they showed Elmer Fud shooting bugs bunny several times and then walking over to him and snapping his neck.That made me smile.
  13. YWD67

YWD67 YOUR WATCH DOG 67 Established Member

The filming processes during the 50's and early 60's of wide view was called CinemaScope. Here is a 1954 press release announcing the use by several movie companys. One of them being Warner Brothers. The first movie in that first widescreen format was "The Robe".
    http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/Widescreen/dynamo8.htm

Hate to bust your bubble Mel, but here goes. There were only 3 companys who made cartoons in widescreen Cinemascope in the 50's and early 60's and neither one was the great WB.
    One of them was the grand movie company MGM, the makers of the classic Tex Avery, Tom & Jerry cartoon shorts.
    http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cach...CINEMASCOPE CARTOONS&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=3

The second was Disney with there Donald Duck short Grand Canyonscope (1954) that was released with the hit movie 20000 Leagues Under the Sea. The DD short was the first animated film in widescreen.

The 3rd was a sligthly less know company called Terrytoons, the makers of (one of my favorites)
    MIGHTY MOUSE and HECKLE & JECKLE.
    http://www.cartoonresearch.com/terrytoons.html

Sadly WB closed it's cartoon production doors in 1963 with out making any of the classics in the widescreen style.

It would not be until 1990 that WB would produce another animated short.
    It was Box Office Bunny, staring (guess who) Bug's Bunny. It was the first animated short produced by WB that was in widescreen.
    1 person likes this.
  14. mfgbypooter

mfgbypooter Super Pooper Staff Member Moderator

what does having a child have to do with it, the cartoons in question were made for adults.

15. Mels_Smileys45

Thanks for answering the question YWD. I dont mind at all that they were not widescreen, I only wanted to see them if they were in that format. I am very picky. I hate to see cropped movies. I like to see them in their original format because it sucks to have a quarter of the pic cut away and pan and scan just doesnt look natural. In older movies you can lose as much as half the screen. Im glad that TV's have gone the way of wide screen.

There were several different formats like Cinemascope, which used a slightly curvered screen, there was VistaVision, Superscope and Techniscope. Then everyone switched to Panovision. All these fomrats were supposed to produce a 3D effect. I would have liked to have seen them in the theater to see how good it looked.
  16. Mels_Smileys45

I can only guess at what this hints at. Im sure I really don't want to know. lol
  17. YWD67

That is for sure! Here is a link with some MGM animated shorts that are......... well let's just say they are slightly dated.:icon_scra
    One title you might see that jumps out at you is "COAL BLACK & DE SEBBEN DWARFS".

http://www.robbiesreels.com/cartoons.htm
  18. YWD67

I had the great fortune to see such a film when I lived in Indiana. The movie was the great 1962 western epic, "How the West Was Won".
    It was shot and showen in a 3D simulated process called Cinerama. The theater showing of a Cinerama made fim is a very involved process.
    It requires three in synic projectors and a special arced screen. Here is a link discribing much of the process. Being only 5 yrs old and seeing something that mamoth left one hell of an impression on me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinerama
  19. Mels_Smileys45

Why can't they be bothered to give us grand movies like that these days?
  20. Theinfamousone

Theinfamousone Krell's Hitman Established Member

Was it pretty convincing? I think that 3D IMAX movies (with the 3D glasses) do a pretty decent job making things 3D but I wasn't blown away or anything, this might be a lot better.