BREAKING NEWS: People who buy books generally read more (CNet)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Drew Wilson, Apr 5, 2012.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
  1. Drew Wilson

Drew Wilson AKA IceCube Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Things might be starting to look up for booksellers, authors, and publishers. A report released today by the Pew Research Center shows that one-fifth of U.S. adults have read an e-book in the last year and that e-reader owners not only prefer to buy rather than borrow books, but they also read more books.

"Those who have taken the plunge into reading e-books stand out in almost every way from other kinds of readers," the report's authors write. "Foremost, they are relatively avid readers of books in all formats: 88 percent of those who read e-books in the past 12 months also read printed books."

With funding from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Pew surveyed nearly 3,000 Americans ages 16 and older last November and December. The research center found that e-book readers go through an average of 24 books a year, while those who don't own the digital devices read an average of 15 books a year.

More...

Whooooaaaaaa!!!!
  2. HelenaP

HelenaP go luath.. céanna go luat Established Member Contributor

You know why I like real books (I've been offered a Kindle as a gift and declined)? After I fall asleep /drop the book in the bathtub while reading, I can dry the book. Not sure, but I don't think you can drop a Kindle in the water and everything be ok.

Heh, heh... one time, my sister told me that I was Banned from the Bible...