Bank of America shares plunge amid WikiLeaks rumor (The Sun News)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Drew Wilson, Nov 30, 2010.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 4 users.
  1. Drew Wilson

Drew Wilson AKA IceCube Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Could Bank of America be the next WikiLeaks target?

The Charlotte-based bank said Tuesday that it has "no evidence" that the organization known for revealing U.S. defense secrets has possession of one of its executives' hard drives. But interviews with WikiLeaks' founder suggested otherwise, sending the bank's stock shares to lows not seen since last year.

In a Forbes magazine interview posted online this week, WikiLeaks' Julian Assange said his outfit plans a "megaleak" regarding a major U.S. bank in early 2011. The release includes tens of thousands of documents and would reveal unspecified unethical behavior, he said.

Assange didn't disclose the name of the bank to Forbes, but he told Computerworld in October 2009 that his organization was "sitting on" five gigabytes of information from a Bank of America executive's hard drive.

Bank of America issued a statement Tuesday as reports swirled online speculating Bank of America was the major U.S. bank in WikiLeaks' sites.

"More than a year ago WikiLeaks claimed to have the computer hard drive of a Bank of America executive," spokesman Scott Silvestri said. "Aside from the claims themselves we have no evidence that supports this assertion. We are unaware of any new claims by WikiLeaks that pertain specifically to Bank of America."

More...

Isn't it a little stupid to say that Wikileaks is bluffing after they carried through on their promise on what is probably the biggest diplomatic leak in history?

2. Drew Wilson

FDIC’s Bair: ‘Ignore’ WikiLeaks Bank Release

BOSTON — The head of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, Sheila Bair, says Bank of America customers should ignore speculation that the bank could be the next target of WikiLeaks.

The provocative website has stated its next big release of internal documents will expose a major U.S. bank.

Bair, one of the nation’s top banking regulators, says bank customers shouldn’t stress about it.

“It seems to me people are just trying to stir up trouble and create problems and worry, and I’d just ignore it,” she said Thursday in Boston. “I’m ignoring it and they should, too!”

More...

I. M. Bezzle unavailable for comment.

3. Signa

Signa COCK ROCKET!!! Established Member

I'll see what this epic banking leak contains. If it's appalling enough, I'll see about pulling my money out of BoA if it's them. No point in reacting now expecting the worst.

4. mountain_rage

mountain_rage Zeropaids nipple Staff Member Moderator

Am I the only one that thinks the claims against Assange are far too convenient for those who want to axe him to be true? Not to say the guy could not be a sexual predator, but how many people have the money and motive to frame him? He can never get a fair trial, and I am sure we will never get the true story.

5. Signa

I think anyone with half a brain thinks that M_R. Even if he did fuck up, it's only being brought to light now because of his recent conduct. The incident happened over a year ago. Had he truly raped a girl then, it would not have just been swept under the rug.

6. Drew Wilson

Wikileaks targets powerful corporations next

WikiLeaks’ release of secret US government communications should serve as a warning to the nation’s biggest companies: you’re next.

Computer experts have warned for years of the threat posed by disgruntled insiders and by poorly crafted security policies that give too much access to confidential data. There is nothing about WikiLeaks’ release of US diplomatic documents to suggest that the group can’t – or won’t – use the same methods to reveal the secrets of powerful corporations.

And as WikiLeaks claims it has incriminating documents from a major US bank, possibly the Bank of America, there is a new urgency to addressing information security inside corporations and a reminder of its limits when confronted with a determined insider.

At risk are companies’ secrets – e-mails, documents, databases and internal websites that are thought to be locked to the outside world. Companies create records of every decision they make.

More...

Now THIS I wanna see!

7. Burn them all down.

8. mfgbypooter

mfgbypooter Super Pooper Staff Member Moderator

If you wanna see it so bad why not just do a premptive strike by posting all your private information on the open internet first?

You know, full name, address, SSN or SIN/ Bank or Credit account numbers along with PIN for all accounts...

After all this information is already contained in internal company databases all over the world.

9. Signa

If Wikileaks previous conduct is to be believed, they aren't going to release sensitive and damaging data like that. Then they WOULD be terrorists. I'm sure you believe in the freedom of information as much as I do Pooter (why else would you be on a filesharing site?), but I really doubt that you'd condone everyone sharing their SS numbers with everyone else.

10. mfgbypooter

mfgbypooter Super Pooper Staff Member Moderator

You're right, as you should know me by now I always try to present a different viewpoint (and here's the trick, whether I personally hold that POV or not) just for others to expand on their own.

As for supposedly keeping private information private, I trust no one, not even WikiLeaks.

11. Drew Wilson

Bank of America Buys Petty Domain Names: An Effort to Thwart WikiLeaks?

Rumors persist that Bank of America execs are freaking out about Julian Assange’s next WikiLeaks dump.

Fast Company reporter Kit Eaton revealed this morning that “Bank of America has created a ‘war room’ to develop strategies to defeat any allegations or political or media back-wash that will probably develop if WikiLeaks publishes thousands of internal documents.” One strategy: buying up derogatory domain names for CEO Brian T. Moynihan such as BrianMoynihanBlows.com. While Bank of America will probably take any precaution they can to keep Julian Assange from rocking their luxury yachts, my guess is that WikiLeaks will be unleashing a shitstorm too powerful to avert.

Last June, while BP was trying to stanch the massive oil leak in the Gulf of Mexico, they were also scrambling to control the flow of anti-BP hatred spewing from media sites around the world. Their strategy: buying up search terms from Google and Yahoo like “oil spill,” “BP oil spill,” “deepwater horizon,” and “oil spill response” and directing users to BP’s official company page dedicated to what a fantastic, thorough job they were doing at cleaning up their atrocious mess.

Sculpting search engine results probably felt like a pretty clever fix to whoever suggested it at whatever emergency PR meeting the strategy originated in. But major media channels immediately attacked BP for further manipulating the public, and this exposure made BP look more desperate and slimy than ever. Maryann Tobin from Examiner wrote, “Buying the links listed first on internet search engines, which direct people to the BP company website, will not hide or erase the horrors of the apocolypse unfolding in the Gulf of Mexico from the Deepwater Horizon disaster.”

More...

Nice to know there is probably very good reasons for BoA to be shitting bricks over what Wikileaks could be publishing next. Makes me look forward to it actually.

12. Signa

Fuuuuuck, this means I'm probably going to have to close my account with them. I'm too lazy to make a point to them, but it's probably bad enough that I'm going to have do.

13. Drew Wilson

WikiLeaks founder says enjoys making banks squirm

(Reuters) - WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange says he enjoys making banks squirm thinking they might be the next targets of his website which has published U.S. diplomatic and military secrets.

"I think it's great. We have all these banks squirming, thinking maybe it's them," Assange told the CBS television program "60 Minutes" in an interview.

CBS released a partial transcript on Friday ahead of Sunday's broadcast of the full segment.

Bank of America Corp shares fell more than 3 percent on November 30 on investor fears that the largest U.S. bank by assets would be the subject of a document release.

More...

Last page save!