aXXo is Gone....thank GOD!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mels_Smileys45, Jun 12, 2009.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 6 users.
  1. Mels_Smileys45

Mels_Smileys45 JabberZombie Established Member

As some people may know, aXXo has disappeared and I think there is some controversy about it but some other people may know more about that than I do. I wonder though...I know myself and other people had been really on his ass about his shitty rips using old out dated codecs for a long time....does this have something to do with his disappearance? I hope so.

His shitty rips are useless IMO. All his rips will have to be redone and its a shame so many idiots made them popular instead of versions that were well done in x264 or h264. aXXo's rips look okay on an old outdated monitor but if you have a newer monitor they look like a youtube video. Useless crap! Bu bye crappy encodes! The pollution of shitty rips is finally over....I HOPE forever! Maybe he is taken time off to figure out how to make a good encode using updated software!!!! :smashfreakB:
  2. Drew Wilson

Drew Wilson AKA IceCube Staff Member Moderator Contributor

This must be the best day so far this month for you. I wonder how confused the DQ people would be if you ordered an ice cream cake that said, "aXXo is gone!!!" ;)
  3. mfgbypooter

mfgbypooter Super Pooper Staff Member Moderator

aXXo rips suck dick.

:blowjob:

4. Mels_Smileys45

yes they do! Really hard! I Guess I should not be glad that anyone who shares such a large amount of bandwidth and files is gone but the quality he was propagating was horrible! With a little effort he could share amazing DVD like quality files at the same file size. h264 can do DVD quality files of most movies at 700meg if a person takes the time to get it right. Using old Divx codecs is a waste of time these days.
  5. Mels_Smileys45

aXXo Story at Torrent Freak [DRAMA!!!!]

Drama has struck parts of the BitTorrent community recently as the popular DVD ripper aXXo hasn’t uploaded any torrents for several weeks. Recently a rumor surfaced that aXXo went to join a private BitTorrent tracker and continued to share his work there exclusively. But is this really the case?

[​IMG]Over the years aXXo has been built up to cult figure status by many BitTorrent users, to a point where the mainstream press and even documentary film makers show an interest. This March aXXo went silent, but some claim that he is still active on a relatively unknown private tracker named Speed.cd.
    A few weeks ago, some blogs and commenters on Mininova picked up on this and reported that aXXo decided to go underground, releasing his torrents only on a few private trackers. Interestingly, he would also have left Darkside RG which was considered to be his home for years, and where he posted the following message only weeks ago.
    “My home is my beloved Darkside and as i’ve said so many times before on each of my torrents…. Be aware of bogus sites and lamers,” aXXo wrote.
    So here are some facts. There is indeed a staff member called aXXo (with identical capitalization) on Speed.cd. He joined the site in January 2008 and has been uploading (some) aXXo rips after they appeared on public sites such as Mininova. After aXXo stopped releasing torrents elsewhere, aXXo on Speed.cd continued to upload movies.
    But is this member called aXXo on Speed.cd the real deal? No, not even close. A quick comparison of the codecs used on these “new” aXXo releases and an examination of some of the metadata such as the ripping software and specs, clearly shows that it is not the same aXXo his fans know and love.
    Also, it is a bit strange that the mystical aXXo only uploaded his releases sporadically onto the Speed.cd tracker before he stopped releasing on public sites three months ago. To us, these are all clear signs that we’re dealing with an impostor here.
    For years aXXo has been warning followers to “beware of bogus sites and lamers,” but apparently that didn’t help much. Over recent weeks, thousands of people signed up at Speed.cd, and according to a poll on the site, most of them joined because of the ‘aXXo’ releases.
    aXXo poll on Speed.cd

[​IMG]
    The aXXo user on the private tracker is clearly enjoying his new status, and has even changed the NFO files bundled with his releases to point to Speed.cd instead of DarksideRG. In the comments he is chatting with his new found fans and explaining why he decided to leave Mininova and Demonoid.
    The site’s operators on the other hand are welcoming the many donations made by aXXo’s followers. “Since axxo is part of this site I have donated $10,” one user commented after buying some upload credit and VIP status. There are even better deals though. Three months of VIP access is only $50 and you’ll get a star next to your nickname as bonus.
    Then again, if thousands of people can’t spot the difference between the uploads of aXXo and the fake aXXo, does it really matter? We’re inclined to say no, if it wasn’t for the price lists and money begging going on at that site.
    Let’s hope that they don’t have the MPAA fooled and end up with their servers raided by the authorities. That would be a shame.
  6. Hath

Hath I Have a HUGE Manatee!

aXXo steals Scene releases and reencodes them, then releases them as his own work. The guy is a useless asshat.
  7. Mels_Smileys45

He re-encodes the DVD's to 700Meg Divx files. Nothing wrong with that...if it was good quality. The files are his own. The whole stealing scene releases BS has always been funny to me.
  8. Hath

He takes takes credit for others peoples work. You don't see anything wrong with that?
  9. Mels_Smileys45

IMO thats not true. The DVD's that are put on sites run be certain members are not their work to begin with. aXXo only takes a DVD release and then re-encodes it himself to a crummy divx file. Its his encode. He did it and a lot of people seem to like little crummy divx files. If he took another divx file and just stuck his name on another persons rip I would say that was a shitty thing to do, although I still would not care, but he only takes the DVD source and encodes it. Its no different than if he would have bought it and encoded it. I guess some people are really anal about who got the movie first but IMO that is silly. With todays internet speeds almost everyone gets the vids at almost the same time. I don't see the big deal but thats just me.
  10. notbob

notbob I say what I want Established Member

isn't that what the "scene" is by definition? they take something, copy it, and put their name on it, claiming credit for someone else's work. how is ripping off the "scene" somehow lamer than the initial ripoff?
  11. Mels_Smileys45

THAT is the part some people don't get for some odd reason. The axxo dood made another version of an already ripped off version for people to enjoy if they wish.
  12. Hath

No, the Scene does not take "credit" for other peoples work. They take credit for putting the release out in whatever format they do.
  13. 1cooldude

1cooldude gone into the sunset

I still have a few of his downloads which I plan to watch.
  14. kari14

kari14 Member

aXXo will be missed.

For someone as broke as I am, I didn't care for quality as much I cared for the fact that I was lucky enough to watch movies without having to paying for them.

I think all you quality-spoiled people need to chill out. I still thank God for my Dell our family bought back in 2001. And we didnt get DSL until about 2 years ago.

a free movie is a free movie, regardless of quality.
  15. Signa

Signa COCK ROCKET!!! Established Member

While I agree with you Kari, there is a lot to be said for some one who takes pride in his work, and aXXo apparently didn't take enough for the popularity he gained. If he was "the best" like everyone said he was, then he should have been able to make copies that were indisputably better. I didn't download many of his files, but I've done my work in video transcoding, and I know there is a lot of room for improvement on what I can do, and what he would do.
  16. norm1515

norm1515 Member

Exactly the point. The scene doesn't own the movies it releases. The only work they are responsible for is the format it gets put in. Axxo takes those files and changes the format. So why should the scene get credit? Lets say Axxo actually went out and bought a dvd of a movie, made his own rip, and compressed it down to his preferred format. Would anyone notice a huge difference? Would anyone care?

Who gives a shit about who ripped what? Is that what piracy is all about? About making a name for yourself? If you ask me, plenty of scene people are dickish snobs working for fame and attention. They insist that every release have an NFO file where they can whore out their scene group and give lame shout outs to their fellow scene people. They base their whole culture around stealing other people's work, but don't hesitate to accuse p2p users of stealing their releases.

Fact of the matter is, if the average pirate can download a movie or album, they are happy. They could care less where it came from. It's one thing to credit the director of a movie, and another to credit the guy who stuck the dvd in his computer and pressed "rip". Anybody can rip a dvd. So there's no special reason we should credit scene groups. A video file is a video file like any other video file. All those nifty aspects of the scene: The groups, the cool nicknames, the demos, the shout outs... it's all part of a game. None of it actually helps pirates. Just narcissism.

If you're going to criticize Axxo for anything, criticize him for giving himself too much credit. The scene deserves no special attention for doing their job, and nor does Axxo. But honestly, stealing from the scene? The scene can bite me.
    1 person likes this.
  17. thelastfreeman

thelastfreeman Amateur Proctologist Established Member

The scene needs to grow up. Seriously. No one uses CDs anymore so stop it with the 700MB/1.38GB standard.
  18. Signa

Signa COCK ROCKET!!! Established Member

I agree, but I prefer that they stick to SOME standard. It pisses me off to no end when I have to burn a disk, plus one episode of a season. I will usually just reencode a few eps so I can just fit them all on one if that is the case. My Rifftrax that I have are pretty bad because they don't follow any standard. Burning those are like piecing together a puzzle, and because of which, I've only backed up a few movies.

And I do know that I could mix and match content on disks, but it makes it so hard to find later if I have to search through my backups.
  19. HelenaP

HelenaP go luath.. céanna go luat Established Member Contributor

Well said.
  20. MoonMan

MoonMan Member

I watched aXXo rips for an enter summer while I was living in the boonies with nothing but a cable connection and public torrent site access. I wasn't looking for mind blowing visuals or anything, but I was definitely out of the cam scene ha, and I found most (not all) aXXo designated copies to be excellent.

You guys sound like snobs, but that's fine. When you really get invested in a hobby and become a guru at it, you are going to be critical of people who don't know any better. I know because I was/am like that, but just with Pokemon cards.