Anyone wish to join a "darknet"?

Discussion in 'File Sharing' started by Dark Messenger, Mar 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 4 users.
  1. Dark Messenger

Dark Messenger Naruto Fan Established Member

Please post here.

2. Krell

Krell worthless dirtball Expert

Darknet

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
    This article is about private file sharing networks. For machines or clusters of machines unreachable by other computers on the internet, see Dark internet. For website content not indexed by search engines, see Deep web.
    A Darknet is a private virtual network where users only connect to people they trust. Typically such networks are small, often with fewer than 10 users each. In its most general meaning, a Darknet can be any type closed, private group of people communicating, but the name is most often used specifically for file sharing networks.

The term originated from The Darknet and the Future of Content Distribution, an article by Peter Biddle, Paul England, Marcus Peinado, and Bryan Willman, four employees of Microsoft. They argued that the presence of the darknet was the major hindrance to the development of workable DRM technologies. This term has since seen usage in major media sources, including Rolling Stone, The Economist, and Wired magazine, and it is also the title of a book by J.D. Lasica.

When used to describe a file sharing network, the term is synonymous with the perhaps more widely used "friend-to-friend" - both describing networks where users' computers share files only with trusted friends. The most widespread file sharing networks like Kazaa, and even heavily encrypted networks like Freenet, are not darknets since peers will communicate with anybody else on the network. The perhaps most widely used darknet software is Nullsoft's WASTE. The developers of Freenet have stated that they are working on a new version that will be a darknet, which unlike typical Darknets, will be capable of supporting potentially millions of users using an application of small world theory.

Early versions of Apple's iTunes allowed users to specify the IP of a remote subnet and share their music with users in that subnet in a Darknet like fashion. Newer versions disable that functionality, but still allow users to stream music within their own subnet; hacks such as ourTunes allow users on the same iTunes network to download each
    others' music with no loss of quality.

The computer game Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory mentioned an interesting concept for a wireless Darknet that used non-standard frequencies, possibly illegal unlicensed ones, to make it very difficult for any signal to be intercepted. With sophisticated hardware and use of spread-spectrum random frequency hopping over a large frequency band of, say, 900MHz to 10 or even 50GHz, this could be a very effective method of security, and indeed is similar to the random frequency hopping that is used by military radios to make signal interception very difficult. Note that this, in and of itself, is pure fiction as this method would only serve to make presense of the communication very obvious.
    [edit]

External links

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darknet"

3. Mels_Smileys45

Mels_Smileys45 JabberZombie Established Member

youre soaking in my darknet right now! lol

Its the only way to go! I wish my upload was faster though

4. shawners

shawners Hurt no more my son.

Takes me two and half, to three days to upload a dvd5 on bt (On a positive side, superseed helps make 3-6 seeders easily, given the fact that you divide your upload stream to 3-5 people). I seen movies posted in 2-3 minutes in 50 meg rars.. right after another.. Takes me 2-3 min to download one 50 meg rar. So far i got a great connection for music and divx. 50ish kbs upload.

5. Mels_Smileys45

Yeah I can't upload any DVDs, people and myself would get too pissed, thats why I still use DivX/Xvid. Maybe one day I'll upgrade to a faster package but for now, charter will have to do the job and people will have to like what they get when they get it! lol

6. .:sp00ky:.

.:sp00ky:. Poptart Tramp Established Member

are we going fishing?

7. Dark Messenger

The darknet? The forbidden things...a technology based upon gossamer wings mysterious and flowing like some shrouded night mist.

A darknet to me represents a closed community of filesharer's driven underground for their own safety/security and protection from those seeking to opress civil liberties, invade privacy and destroy freedom.

A darknet can take many forms. It can be as simple as the technology that drives it.

In this example we refer to a waste hub. What is a waste hub? First waste is a secure encrypted p2p program created by Justin Frankel who also gave us winamp and gnutella. He open sourced the waste protocol making it possible for users to continue his work on their own.

Why waste? Because its simple and it works....It uses encryption based upon the exchange of public keys you create in order to share files securely over the internet. Not even your isp can see what you are searching for, downloading or uploading...they can observe the amount of bandwidth you use but are unable to determine the nature of your transfers even through packet sniffing as all communications between clients are encrypted and cannot be deciphered without a proper key pair.

How's it work? First you download the latest version of the waste client from here or here.

Then you install it. During installation you will be prompted to create a 'public key' which you do my moving your mouse cursor around a predefined area on the screen which is done to create a random private key for yourself after this is finished you can either export your public key to a text file or copy it to your clipboard and paste it manually into a text file yourself as 'mypublickey.txt'.

I don't remember the steps exactly or in order..but basically you pick a username for yourself. Create a private key, export your public key based on the private one.

Then finally you select an option to password protect your network which is highly recommended that you do in order to increase the safety of your network.

Then you run the program and exchange keys with someone you know well and wish to exchange files with.

You will need to give the person your ip address, port number that your client/server is listening on (default is 1337) and your public key.

The recipient will then import your public key into their client and enter the network password if you choose to use one that is and also your ip address and port number and then press the connect button (aftering entering your ip and port number into the address bar of the client) in order to connect to your computer running the waste program.

It works best if you have a 'static ip' meaning an ip address that doesn't change very often kind of like you would have with a cable or dsl modem. Dial up users can still use waste but will need to get a free dynamic dns service that will give you a domain name such as yourname.myaddress.com which will monitor and update to match your current ip address when it changes by using a dns client to update your ip address automatically by selecting to run the client whenever windows starts and letting it run in the background using in the taskbar while you surf, download and share files.

A group of connected users sharing files with the waste client is reffered to as a 'mesh'. A mesh can be made up of two or more people with a maximum capacity of 50....50 is some kind of a limitation for the client that exists for reasons I do not understand and cannot explain.

If you turn off your client then anyone who leaves their client running can sustatin the network by providing an ip address for the other clients to connect to...this is done automatically in the background without any user interaction on your part so if ten people were to connect to your ip address and you suddenly went offline..instead of the ten others getting disconnected they would simply try to connect the next person in line with a reachable ip address thus making it possible for anyone to maintain the network so long as they have a static ip or dynamic dns one and preferrably a 24/7 connection.

How do you pick the people u want in your darknet? Well most already have people they've interacted with for years or months on the internet either in chatrooms, irc channels or messageboards like this one..so usually you invite your friends exchanging the ip address, port number , network password (if you chose to use one) and your public key through email, private messaging or private chat in irc.

Never post this information publicly as that's how it remains a darknet...and be sure to change the default port number the client runs on to anying other than 1337.

That's about it...now who wants to start out with a practice darknet?

8. Krell

Now youre gonna start a begging war for people we dont really know or trust

"nooooo I want in the dark club! Thats no fair, im plenty dark enough!

9. Tony87

Tony87 Member

Anonymous P2P using darknets

I just started generic discussion about P2P Anonymous "darknets". It seems that it hasn't been going on. But I think it's topic to discuss quite a lot. BitTorrent (at least public trackers) and emule aren't going to last for ever.

http://www.zeropaid.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=36970

10. Krell

Welcome to ZP . . and please, no thread hopping, everyone that is familiar with ZP uses the New Posts link, we already know youve made a new thread, you dont need to promote it. In fact I already posted there before you posted here.

11. Mels_Smileys45

Most people will never know there are members here swapping files on their own private network. (some may think that now, lol) If I was running a private server I would only IM very few people here, the ones I've had dialog with for some years.

I would like to try out waste as others use it and Ive been meaning to jump on board but its one of those things Ive never got around to trying. I guess its about that time.

12. Mels_Smileys45

Does Darknet have spyware?

13. Dark Messenger

The official version from sourceforge does not and I am not aware of any other versions apart from the original code released by Justin Frankel which did not and as its open source it probably wouldn't be difficult to detect.

Always download from the official homepage to be safe.

14. Mels_Smileys45

I thought I was making a joke. I guess it wasn't too funny. not lol :icon_blac

15. shallowhall

shallowhall Member

Wasn't this thing of inviting people or find invites in zeropaid illegal?

16. Dark Messenger

I'll leave that to a mod to answer...and if they deem necessary to delete this thread.

17. The Hunter

The Hunter Janitor

Actually its open again. LOL

18. The Hunter

The Hunter Janitor

Bump..................

19. Borgs8472

Borgs8472 Member

Isn't signing up for one of those invite-only tracker sites basically the same as joining a darknet? :/

20. Krell

Do you know the people on that tracker?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.