Any linux users PLEASE help me!

Discussion in 'Desktop' started by w31n3r, Oct 23, 2009.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
  1. w31n3r

w31n3r Zeropaid Irregular Established Member

ok, i've been busting my balls on this the past few days and if someone mentions google to me i swear i'll scream. to start, i'm a linux :newbie:

now that we've gotten that out of the way, i've been trying to setup diskless clients over a network, and zeroed in on an open source client OS called thinstation using the "network boot with a NIC w/o a boot ROM using a harddisk" method since the mostly old clients all had hard disks.

everything went just hunky dory, so good in fact that new clients were added, without hard disks, and now i want to setup PXE using syslinux, so machines just have to be plugged in to the network. now this is where i start sucking linux dick. i cannot figure how to setup the gpxelinux.cfg file to accommodate thinstation.nbi (which is the actual boot file). keep getting "no boot file specified" or "corrupted kernel" messages when booting the clients. the server's running windows server 2003 btw.

so is there anybody here with experience with syslinux who can help? i remember there was a guy here on ZP who seemed to be a linux whiz but i can't remember the name. he had a monkey wearing spectacles on his avatar. if you remember his name please post it so i can maybe PM him.

but i'm sure there are many others here who can help me. please guys, i'm stuck with a LOT of new clients and i need to have this POS running by monday.

2. El Comandante

El Comandante Merde! Established Member

I don't know shit about linux dude... maybe you can Goo.... uh..... nevermind......

consider this a bump!..:paranoid:

3. mountain_rage

mountain_rage Zeropaids nipple Staff Member Moderator

I've used Linux on and off, but I can't say I've gone deep enough into its functions to know how to help you run a thin station. But once you do get them running, they are half decent to work on. My school has a thin station set up for about 8 machines, no one ever uses them because they have Linux on them, so I tend to use them instead of the Windows machines when I want to browse the internet.

This was his avtar
    [​IMG]
    I do not remember his name. What about Cpugenius, think that was one of the usual computer experts? Or even Krell, if you can track the guy down.

GOOGLE

4. w31n3r

yeah, thats the guy. don't think he's around though even as a lurker or he'd have showed up. man i wish krell was around.

here's some more info in case someone happens by...my tfptdroot directory has the six thinstation files, and gpxelinux.0, memdisk and menu.c32 from pxelinux. i also have set the pxelinux.cfg folder inside of which is the default file. this is what the latest version of the default file looks like:

bah. the client gets as far as to begin loading thinstation.nbi before it freezes. btw, the whole gig is configured to connect to terminal server. any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: i'm pretty sure the config file is where i'm screwing up, the thinstation mailing lists have been a dud so far :(

5. w31n3r

gaah!

this shit has been screwing me all day. sometimes i wish i wasn't so cheap, both wyse and devon had pretty good packages but i HAD to go el cheapo. anyway, i managed to get thinstation to load so im starting to get somewhere. still have a little(?!) configuring left to do, if i can ever figure those damned linux commands.

6. w31n3r

UPDATE:

ok i finally sorted this out, and in the process learned a few (but not nearly enough) things about linux. if anybody here would ever want to setup thin clients, please feel free to PM me, i'll help as much as i can with my limited knowledge. it's really quite simple once you know how. please disregard the default config file i posted above, it's absolute nonsense (lol, now i know).

@ MR: i just saw the "GOOGLE" wise guy, ARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

but at least i can laugh about it now :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

7. notbob

notbob I say what I want Established Member

i set up an LTSP server on ubuntu 10.10. worked like a dream. then, they made 11.04 and broke everything. then, i went to 11.10 thinking maybe it was fixed--it wasn't, and it broke freenx to boot. finally, i broke down and fixed it myself. LTSP was asking the DHCP for addresses twice, which is stupid since they ciould just reuse the one from the initial kernel in the PXE boot setup. i gave the config an ip address manually in /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/arch/pxelinux.cfg with custom .cfgs based on Mac addresses (put 01-mac address with - instead of : like 01-00-00-00-00-aa-bb.cfg) then, when that client tries to boot, it goes to the custom config (the default tries to get DHCP, which doesn't work because of the double address thing) with the customs, it isn't rebroken everytime you update the kernels or clients (it remakes the broken default.cfg)

I didn't tell them how to fix it, because they pissed me off by breaking it