8x8 Inc, Packet8 phone....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ne007, Apr 2, 2004.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
  1. Ne007

Ne007 I wish u were Beer Established Member

I've tried the internet phone product located here:
    https://www.packet8.net/index.asp

I REALLY like the service because the phone works great, NO long distance in the United States or Canada, and only costs $19.99 a month.
    AND
    I'd LOVE to get rid of the monopoly of Sprint, who is the only local service provider in our city.

Here's my problem....I'm a download junky, and downloading severely reduces the quality of the telephone service, especially downloading apps that I use (shareaza, ares, K-lite).

I do use a netgear router mr8142v2, and I'm wondering if there is any way I can configure the router to filter a constant amout of bandwidth to my internet telephone to keep it running properly.

I have a 512 kb/s cable internet connection, run windows xp.

Any suggestions? I'm open to purchasing equipment that would allow me to get this straight. Thanks.

This may help also:
    "Generally, the best results are obtained with upstream and downstream bandwidths of greater that 23 kilobits/sec in both directions per conversation"
  2. Miniver

Miniver Adjudicator Established Member

use netlimiter search for it on google or on your favorite file sharing app.
  3. Ne007

umm...it doesn't seem to be working.

For shareaza for example...I set my download limit to 150k/s and my upload limit to 25 kb/s with netlimiter v 1.29.

Then I look at shareaza

I'm downloading 385 kb/s and uploading at 53 kb/s.

I don't get it.

oops..maybe it's because I haven't restarted my computer yet...I'm downloading too good to do that right now :upside
  4. waqasr

waqasr Member

Cablevision basically removed tht problem frm their Voip telephone system!
    doesnt matter how much u stay on the phone it doesn't slow down ur
    internet connection coz it separates the VOip traffic frm ur data traffic.
    iam not sure whn these other company's like Vonage/8x8 etc etc will start
    something like tht but iam hoping one day soon!
  5. Ne007

Yep...after I restarted my computer netlimiter started working.

AND it seems to be working. It seems to be working with only limiting the upload bandwidth...I set it at 25 kb/s and tested it out.

Working great.