2010 U. S. Census

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by HelenaP, Apr 6, 2010.

?

Are you going to fill out the 2010 Census?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    47.4%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    47.4%
  3. Undecided

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 6 users.
  1. HelenaP

HelenaP go luath.. céanna go luat Established Member Contributor

This is a straightforward poll and discussion regarding the 2010 Census.

My two questions are:

1: Are you going to fill it out? If so, could you give a reason (besides it's the law or "... you’re making a statement about what resources your community needs going forward." <-- I think that is bullshit) why?

2: If you are not going to fill it out, could you explain why not?

I'm not filling it out. I have never seen anything like this in my life. None of the census's in the past have ever been mailed out with threats of fines and captioned, "It's the Law!"

I know there are a few intelligent people left in the forum. It would be nice to hear from them.
  2. mountain_rage

mountain_rage Zeropaids nipple Staff Member Moderator

No, as a Canadian it would be frowned upon.
  3. HelenaP

Shite. I forgot that there are a lot of Canadians here.

Thanks for posting though. I had a feeling that you would be the first. Probably the last too.

But would you if you were American?

Edit- I don't know who else voted, but I will ask that you not vote if you are not willing to give a reason. Seems a bit chicken shite to me...
  4. mountain_rage

mountain_rage Zeropaids nipple Staff Member Moderator

As I have nothing to hide, and all census information is used to more or less gauge the current status of the country, I would most definitely answer the census. Now the issue someone might have with the census, and its due to government corruption, is the fact that the information can be abused to profile citizens. It is supposed to be a confidential document, not to be used for intelligence, yet that rule has historically been broken. It would be nice if there was a way to ensure confidentiality while still acquiring the information, although I'm not sure how one would go about doing such a task.
  5. Atheist Icon

Atheist Icon Member Established Member

I filled out mine partially. I didn't put down a telephone number, no reason to give them that info. I also did not fill out my wife's, daughters, or my race, properly. I selected other, and wrote in "Who Cares?" I cannot stand the race question on any survey I fill out. I cannot wait for the census people to show up on my doorstep, they will be greeted with the door slamming in their face when they announce who they are.
    1 person likes this.
  6. HelenaP

I am not worried about hiding anything. I am concerned about the very thing you are. My privacy.

I mean think about it. Look at the government's idea of "protecting " our privacy. Case in point; AT&T and the NSA. Our "privacy" was completely disregarded. All for our own "safety."

This is what they have to say about our privacy...

Additionally, I scoff, harrumph and LMAO at the following statement ~

I plan on doing exactly the same. I have been following this and read that they have indeed (in this case, a university) been going door to door.

They have mailed two and I have thrown both out. I dug the second one out of the trash and replied much the same as you, looked at it, then threw it out again.

I mean, doesn't it seem a bit shady to anyone other than myself that suddenly the census is being mailed out after years of it not being done, setting penalty fines anywhere from $100 to $500?
  7. mfgbypooter

mfgbypooter Super Pooper Staff Member Moderator

Nope.

Not filling it out or answering any questions if confronted.

Any mail I receive addressed to "Resident" or "Occupant" is considered junk mail and is promptly thrown unread into the trash.

As for answering the census conducted in person, I do not open my door to strangers.

And as for answering under threat, I refer them to the 5th ammendment, which trumps any law passed by Congress.

Constitutionally, the only information you are required to give is the number of people living in your house.

So if you feel like you must cooperate, then the first question is the only one you have to answer.

8. drtoker

drtoker Zeropaid VIP Established Member

Didn't get one. Guess I'm exempt :shrugs:
  9. El Comandante

El Comandante Merde! Established Member

I thought the questions were straight forward and simple. The Constitution requires a census has been taken by the government every 10 years. I didn't realize it was such a charged political issue until I read the front page of the Drudge Report .... it was called a "power grab" and a tool to obtain control by our "Nazi President" .... bla bla..

A closer look shows this is the first Census taken under a Democratic Administration in 30 years (hence the wingnut excitement). There is also a concern about personal privacy, which I completely understand. . . unfortunately that concern is way overstated given the simple questions posed (in my view). . . I think the benefits of the Census far outweigh it's perceived harms.

The 1990 census severely under counted several minority groups, Hispanics, and children. Statistical sampling is used to fill in these gaps but the Bush Administration refused to use them to fill in gaping holes in the 2000 census (calling them unreliable).

Why the heavy hand (fines, jail, prosecution)? The government wants people to answer and wants to reduce the under count (or the government wants to gather information about you so that it can take your freedom away) ... take your pick.

Why all the politics? Census counts will determine the redistricting and reapportionment of local and congressional districts. Federal money is also apportioned to communities according to the numbers (fewer black and Hispanic districts) Under counting also prevents federal money from reaching poor and minority communities.

The sad truth is that the GOP prefers to exclude rather than include. It prefers to pretend that blacks, Hispanics, Asians and native Americans (and their kids) do not exist. We are not talking about illegals here... were talking about American Citizens. If we are to follow the Voting Rights Act of 1965 and provide "equal representation for equal numbers of people" then we need to know how many people we actually have.

It's ALL about money, power and race. Make no mistake about it.
  10. mfgbypooter

Clinton's Administration was not Democratic?

11. El Comandante

El Comandante Merde! Established Member

Seems right. Can't believe anything you read anymore. Perhaps they are suggesting that the 2000 Census results and adjustments were delivered to Congress by GWB.

http://www.findingdulcinea.com/news...0-Census-Highlighted-by-Gregg-Withdrawal.html

12. carpefile

carpefile Chronic Established Member

I'm answering it, partially. Everything except any personally identifying info. It's important in regard to demographics, it helps to know the head count of age groups, ethnic groups, family sizes, income brackets, etc.
    If for nothing else than for market research.
  13. sygreenblum

sygreenblum Member

Yes although for race I put all of the above and my girlfriend is from Venus.
  14. don webb

don webb Mm Mm Mm Barrack H Obama

True Confessions from America's Census Workers.........:redface:

Obama and the left's identity politics-mongers are turning the $1Billion, taxpayer-subsidized census public relations drive into a government preferences lobbying bonanza.

Over the past several weeks, I've received e-mails from census workers across the country describing the directive from their managers to slow down, stall, waste time and stretch out their work unnecessarily.

As a counter-public service announcement, I'm reprinting some of their letters:

Examples

• I have been working with the census for two weeks, and every day I shake my head at the blatant inefficiency and deliberate misuse of taxpayer money.

[*]The way the process has been set up by government bureaucracy is so backward and prevents a person who is industrious and efficient from being able to work freely… This is the first job where I am encouraged to be slow and inefficient.

[*]In an average suburban neighborhood where the houses are somewhat close to each other, it was no problem to do about 35 to 40 addresses per hour once you learned how to quickly enter data into the computer. The census said that I should be doing about 12 to 15 per hour. My direct bosses told me that I should NOT be doing 35 to 40, because it was making them and other people look bad. So instead of walking at a snail's pace, I just did my 35 to 40/hour and doubled my time when I submitted my hours. Again, sorry for the tax dollar grab, but I was told not to be so darned efficient or else I'd be cut!

[*]Philadelphia was going nuts because our region was getting done so fast, but there was nothing we could do to slow it down another two months. I was told to pad the time or mileage to cover my McDonald's food, since I was camping in a booth all day.

[*]I never saw such a mismanaged outfit in all my life. I just shook my head in total disbelief. Our work could have been done with half the people.

[*]I was asked if I wanted to be called back for further work. I wrote 'NO' in big letters. I didn't want to take any further part in what I saw to be a racket.

[​IMG]

Any More Questions ...?​

http://townhall.com/columnists/MichelleMalkin/2010/04/07/true_confessions_from_americas_census_workers

15. mfgbypooter

I wonder how many times these fuckers are going to knock on my door thinking I am going to answer it.

1 person likes this.
  16. sygreenblum

sygreenblum Member

Supposedly it's a legal requirement to fill out the census. So what sort penalty can pooter look forward to. Realistically or even theoretically.
  17. mfgbypooter

I will start obeying the Constitution when the Govt. does.

18. Tic3

Tic3 - Staff Member Moderator

I voted a definite NO. As previously mentioned, the Constitution requires a *count*. It doesn't require any other information, and regardless of any additional laws that may have been passed to require more information, I will not answer any of them unless they drag me to court.

I have already had one visit from a census employee and told her I would not answer any other questions. She offered to come back later, but I told her it would be a waste of her time because I wasn't going to answer any other questions.
    2 people like this.
  19. sygreenblum

sygreenblum Member

Possibly the best response I can imagine.

However, the IRS and pretty much the rest of the government doesn't give a crap about the so called Constitution. You may give a crap about what's right or wrong but the machine will move on with or without your so called rights.

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    Where have you been?
    It's alright we know where you've been.
  20. mfgbypooter

I was reading somewhere that they will make up to six attempts in the next two months before giving up.

Well all I can say is they can keep on trying but in this day and age I do not respond to, or open my door to, any uninvited strangers that knock, regardless of who the fuck they may claim to be.

So until they kick my door down and do a head count themselves they won't ever get even that much information out of me.